Computer shorted out.

Eric

So this afternoon I had my desktop computer on and was playing some Counter Strike on it. I closed it out and went to go do the dishes. While doing the dishes I saw the lights flash. Didn't think much of it until I went back to my computer. The power light on the front was still on, but everything else was off. Fans not running(except the 2 fans under the graphics card). I tuned it off from the switch on the back and tried to turn it back on. Again the blue light comes on but literally the computer still sounds like it's off, the only things that work are the 2 fans on the graphics card. I also stupidly didn't have it plugged into a surge protector(thought I did). I know my descriptions are terrible, but what do you think fried in it? The motherboard, power supply? Would the graphics card still be okay if the fans are running? I have an appointment with GeekSquad tomorrow(rip wallet).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard telling without actually starting to replace components until it starts working. I wouldn't take it to geeksquad, they will rape you. Take it a local computer repair store and have them look at it.

Lax

VIP Member
Is this a custom build or is it a pre-built machine (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc...)? You could try unplugging everything from the board except the CPU and see if it gives proper BIOS beeps for missing RAM as well. This would be a good starting point to troubleshoot the machine yourself and save a bunch of money. You can also get a POST card (between $2 and $20), they are literally gold in determining board problems without onboard POST testing.