Computer shut down and nothing on monitor

VictorETM

Here we go...

I have a PC with Windows 7 (it started with Vista) that is having issues.

It started shutting down on it's own. It did boot back up maybe 2 or 3 times, then it wouldn't stay on. It would start to run for a couple seconds and shut off.

Since I have no extra parts, I bought a new PSU. Still didn't boot back up. I read somewhere that the CPU could have blown up. So... I got a new CPU (fan & heatsink came with).

Computer is now running, BUT i now have nothing coming up on my monitor. I plugged the monitor cable into an LCD TV just to make sure it wasn't the monitor.

BTW, the "video card" is onboard. I've reset the CMOS (popping out battery), replugged in hardware, reseated RAM, all "extra" cards are not in, and checked all the wires.

HELP!!!!!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, now the next step is to probably replace the onboard video with a stand alone graphics card. You might want to check out the possibility that you have a bad mobo that causing all sorts of things to short out, or that there's bad wiring in the case.

stiffinger

Do you have a virus program? Viruses can cause all kinds of component failures. I had a bad hdd in a new build and the problem acted like a virus or mb issue. Util it failed and wouldn't take a format, I was fighting usb drivers, and bios changes.

Dystopia

Sounds like a dead motherboard to me for sure..By the way, you should try to return those parts you bought if you dont need them.