Computer shut off by itself.

A few weeks ago, I was gone for almost an hour, and my computer tower shut off. I turned it on, and my tabs were still up.

Should I be worried?

Last week, my computer shut off while it was on the boot screen.

My computer didn't turn off by itself while I was at church the other day.

And yesterday, I was able to log in before my computer turned off by itself

I turned my computer on today, and it turned off. I turned it on again, and the light went on, then off again.

The next time, it stayed on.

Is my computer dying?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As far as when you turned it back on and your tabs was still up, seems like you had hibernation enabled. But when the pc keeps shutting down immediately after turning it on, then its either a power supply issue or some other hardware issue that is failing and its causing the pc to shut down, usually an HDD can and will do this.

OK, I opened up my computer, and the fan and PSU both seem to be running fine.

The PSU's the fan thing in the back, right?

It was really dusty inside, though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The power supply(psu) is the hardware that supplies power to all the components. The fan in the back is just a case fan. If it was really filthy then it's very possible that the CPU fan/heatsink is clogged with dust which means the cpu is overheating and shutting the system down. Check the cpu fan for dust

I blew out the dust from inside my computer.

I think my computer's faster now.

Also, the power button's light flickered when I turned it on this morning, but it didn't do it again when I shut it down and turned it back on as a test.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a custom built pc or a store bought pc? What processor does it have? Have you checked cpu temps?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
50 degrees at idle is kinda high yet if thats the true temp. Download and run this.

unzip it and then run realtemp. let me know what the temp says.

Attachments

• RealTemp_370.zip
    323.1 KB · Views: 1
Computer fell asleep while I was gone yesterday, and again when I had to leave again, and it didn't turn off by itself, so it's fixed, maybe.

Turned on with no problems today.