Computer shuts Off immediately

YEA_PC_PHONICS

Hi, I am trying to figure out why my computer keeps shutting off when I play a simple game. It also shuts off on other occasions, but I am not sure why. Right before the system shuts down my computer makes a click sound, and the computer screen goes crazy and scrambles images.
Any suggestions on what might be wrong.

Kesava

well i have no idea really, but what is your ram configuration like? do you have 2 sticks? if so then just put one in and see how it goes. then swap over and try them in different slots. i find that ram seems to cause lots of my problems...

YEA_PC_PHONICS

Really, when this happens a majority of the time it is while playing a very old (1998) game. but internet and stuff doesnt really cause problems.

Kesava

yeah i found it to happen cos my 1 gb stick was bad. but because i had 2 sticks, it would only start using the bad stick when i was playing games.

anyway it doesnt matter if it doesnt seem logical. just try it to start with.

my mobo went dead a few days ago. the images were scrambling whenever my system would freeze. how hot are your parts? what temp does your cpu idle at?

Kesava

were you being sarcastic? haha

im just trying to think of what it could be. and it would be good to eliminate ram.

so about your temps...?

YEA_PC_PHONICS

No i have two, and the psu is pretty hott. but i think its not the ram it seems to be the only thing keeping this comp alive.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Right before the system shuts down my computer makes a click sound, and the computer screen goes crazy and scrambles images.

RAM doesn't click...le sigh...

It's most likely a PSU or HDD problem. Do you get any error codes before/after the screen jumbles? Does it click once or several times? Does it click any time you're not playing the game?

Anyway, probably unrelated, but to check your temps, download SpeedFan, PC Wizard, or Everest; all are free and very easy to install/use.