Computer Shuts Off Randomly

coolguy5411

My computer now randomly shuts off especially when playing runescape or watching videos.

I have:
340 intel processor
512mb pc2700 ddr sdram memory
100gb 7200rpm ultra dma hard drive

and plz remember im not that good with computers :D thanx!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like above, plus how long has it been since you popped the side off and checked the insides for dust and dirt, especially around all the fans?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Could you Post your exact system specs (including case and any fans)?

Sometimes SpeedFan uses default labels and you have to figure out what temp is what, such as in this case. To find which one of those is your CPU, open a few large programs at once (Adobe, Outlook, PowerPoint, Virus Scan Program, etc.) and watch to see which temp jumps up the quickest. If it's the one that's 60*C in the above-example, it's definitely too hot. Since you mentioned you jut cleaned the case, I'd say deteriorated thermal compound would be the most likely culprit.

comptsa

I would recommend that you check your display settings. Most times, systems come pre-set with a default of trying to adjust your display settings automatically for you when it feels this is necessary. In some cases, if the system cannot reset the setting to the needed setting, it may require the system to shut down as a fail safe. I would definately try turning this automatic restart off, and see if this problem persists.