computer shuts off, very hot

I have a computer with 2 Graphic cards. the computer runs fine when doing general tasks. when I start doing some big gaming, the GPU fans kick all the way up. well, actually the bottom GPU fan is around 50% and the top kicks up to 100%. Temps show around 75c for bottom and 88c for top on average. I installed an exhaust fan to the back of the tower and it stays on a lot longer now. But I'm curious. Does it sound like a GPU overheating, or could it be the PSU (psu is mounted at top where all the heat sits). If it is the GPU how can I cool it more. I can't space teh cards anymore. the case is terrible cramped. GPU cards barely fit... so would simply a bigger case help? I can't change the spacing between the cards, because well, the motherboard is what it is.

Here is my case
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AZC2RN0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my GPUs are ASUS radeon RX 580

dgrevillius

Yeah I would say it is getting too hot in there. A better ventilated case and maybe even water cooling would help. Your current case doesn't have much for airflow.

beers

Staff member
That's a super small case.

Are the cards sandwiched together? I'd see if you can throw a high CFM intake in the front. There are some 'pcie slot coolers' that mount to one of the expansion slots in the case if you have at least a slot between cards.

Otherwise there are some aftermarket coolers that can help but obviously that's a bit of a dollar sum.

If you're into rigged shenanigans you could try zip tying a fan on the metal divider or trying something like this:
SANY0096a.jpg

Gossinater

I have had my share of heating issues and it frustrates me. Try the bigger case, better ventilation, and additional case fans. Of course, clean all heat sinks and fans with cans of compressed air cause the dust builds up surprisingly fast on mine. That fan you installed; set it to constantly run instead of only running when case is a certain temp. That'd help constant air flow.

Ok thanks! I ordered the below case and I'll see if it helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IT0TDY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

there is 1 PCI space between the cards, but with the PCI blower fan, it touches the cards, so I fear that will make things worse since it blocks one of the fans on the top card.

I see the bottom card's fan sits at 60% and the top card runs 100%. bottom card blows hot air right into the top cards fans. so I thought I would see if there is a way to make both cards fans just run 100%, that may keep lower card cooler, and blow cooler air... maybe...

Darren

Staff member
Not ideal but you could just take the side panel off and point a small fan at the case. Could at least be temporary until you get a new case (which is what you should do eventually).

I actually thought about using tin snips and cutting a hole in the side of the case, and mounting a case fan on the side blowing outside air right across both cards...

Darren

Staff member
It'd work, just keep in mind the dust, probably would want a dust filter of some kind if possible.

Oh True. I'll just hold until the case comes. Sounds like it should be here Monday... Hopefully that fixes it.

I'm just curious, do you all think its the GPU over heating, or the PSU? the PSU is at the top, so the fan would suck in all that heat... or how does one even know for sure.

Darren

Staff member
Could be the PSU but you mentioned 88oC on the GPU which is too hot and 78oC is starting to push it IMO. PSU's generally don't get too terribly hot but the poor airflow definitely isn't doing it any favors.