Computer slowing down for no reason.

Matt8110

It started about a month ago, at first my computer was still usable but then over time it got slower and slower, then I thought "Time to reinstall windows", but that did not help and now I got a blue screen and when I turned my PC back on windows had disabled my graphics card because it said it reported an error, reinstalling the graphics drivers solved this however it doesn't matter what I am doing, for example I get the same amount of lag in the sims 3 as I do in quake 3, it makes no sense at all,

PC especs:

AMD athlon 64 1.8Ghz
Geforce GT 520
2GB DDR2 ram.

I think it may be the graphics card, but I am not sure, I also think it may be the motherboard, I don't think it would be the CPU since I have had the CPU longer than anything else and it has been working perfect.

Thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is normal computer function working correctly without gaming? Try a different card.

Matt8110

No, everything is slow, when I reinstalled windows it took like 20 minutes for the installer window to come up after it loaded. Windows 7 64-bit BTW.

jamesd1981

The machine might not have an actual fault, it is really low spec a sub 2ghz cpu and 2gb ram the machine would be slowish naturally, it really depends how slow without actually using the machine first hand it is hard to tell if it is normal speed for a machine that spec or abnormally slow due to a possible fault.