Computer slowing down internet

williw2

New Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I write this in the wrong section.

I have many devices in my house connected to the internet, such as a couple of desktop computers, a laptop, an ipod, a PS3 and more. When i play on my PS3 online, the connection is very fast and it doesn't lag at all even when multiple devices are also on the internet. But as soon as my brother goes on the internet on his computer, the connectivity on the PS3 goes right down and it lags loads.
The PS3 only lags when my brother is online on his desktop computer and not when any other device is.
Is this a problem with his computer?

Any answers appreciated

Will
 
Last edited:
He is either infected or he has a program accessing the internet when he boots up his system. Does he download music or other things using limewire, torrents or other file sharing programs? If so, that's the issue.
 
The PS3's connection is slow as soon as he turns on his computer so I wouldn't be surprised if he has programs which access the internet when he boots up. Is there any way that he could find out which programs are accessing the internet when he boots up?

He has Utorrent on his PC and uses it occasionally.

Also, he streams quite a lot of music. Would this slow down the connection?
 
Use CCleaner, it should have a tool to disable startup junk that run in the background, or you can open start > run
then type msconfig
RUN.JPG

click Ok
go to the tab that says start up
CONFIG.JPG

and click disable all if your lazy, or go to google and search each startup item 1 by 1 and see if you need it and uncheck whichever you don't need.
click ok or apply to finish.
Note: If you get a popup on start up that you changed something, just put a check mark in the box next to "Do not display this again" or else you'll see it every time you turn on you PC

And to check if the PC is infected click on the following link (make sure you are using internet explorer 7 or 8 because it does not work with chrome or fire fox :() [LINK(click on it/here] to get ESET online scanner, it's completely free, I use it. Info (copied from site): ESET Online Scanner is a user friendly, free and powerful tool which you can use to remove malware from any PC utilizing only your web browser without having to install anti-virus software. ESET Online Scanner uses the same ThreatSense® technology and signatures as ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus, and is always up-to-date.

Eset is the best antivirus, but if your going to get an an anti-virus installed, get Vipre Premium
(it rocks, try the trial [LINK]).

And the last thing you can do is beat up your brother if he tries to use the PC while your on PS3 XD.

-Lamim R
email: [email protected] <-I'm over here if you need more help, but I'd ask the pro's like johnb35, bomberboysk, cromewell, 2048megabytes
psn (ps3 online.username): lemon777r (add me XD)
 
Last edited:
The PS3's connection is slow as soon as he turns on his computer so I wouldn't be surprised if he has programs which access the internet when he boots up. Is there any way that he could find out which programs are accessing the internet when he boots up?

He has Utorrent on his PC and uses it occasionally.

Also, he streams quite a lot of music. Would this slow down the connection?

Yes, streaming music will definately slow down the internet for everyone else on the network. Utorrent needs to be disabled from running at startup.
 
The PS3's connection is slow as soon as he turns on his computer so I wouldn't be surprised if he has programs which access the internet when he boots up. Is there any way that he could find out which programs are accessing the internet when he boots up?

He has Utorrent on his PC and uses it occasionally.

Also, he streams quite a lot of music. Would this slow down the connection?

It would, I know cause I'd try and download stuff with bittorent (like utorrent) at 500-1200kbs and I would keep disconnecting from MAG (PS3 game).
 
I got him to disable some of his programs from starting when the computer booted up and now the PS3 connection is much faster and it is not lagging!

Thanks very much to everyone that wrote an answer!
 
Back
Top