computer slows down at times?

NOOBIE

hey everyone i have a 3Ghz P4, 512mb ram, asus mobo. my computer is pretty fast but sometimes my comp will just go heaps slow out of the blue, i leave my comp on overnight and when i get back on in the morning its always really slow, can anyone help me thanks in advance :(

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
have you run any anti spyare and anti virus programs? what do you leave it doing overnight, anything stressful ie video encoding?

NOOBIE

yer i have ad-aware lavasoft i run it reguraly and nortan aswell, nothing really just downloading stuff using limewire or mirc. so not anything too stressfull

narafa

Well, usually you have to restart your windows everynow and then to give your computer a break. Windows keeps some records of the processes and it gets heavy with time.

When you open a program for the first time, work on it a little and then shuts it down, the windows actually removes it from the task manager, but this does not mean that it forgot about it completely. There is always something hidden which helps the windows in loading this program again faster, that's why computers working for very long times get slow, this is just normal.

Exactly like human beings, when working for long times without sleep, snaps, refreshments, we get slow, dummy and can't understand, and usually make a lot of mistakes, so give your computer some breaks:D

NOOBIE

but the thing my comp isnt on 24-7 it does get breaks i never leave for 2 days straight i give it restarts and rests sometimes before i go to sleep i restart it? and the computer is recently formatted, and it was doing this before aswell

randruff

Possible HDD failing? Bad sectors? Have you run checkdisk? Have you had any problems with loss of data?

NOOBIE

um no i havent ran check disk as i dont know what it is? but when the comp is going slow i hear alot of hardrive noise like its continuesly trying to look for something. i havent had any loss of data

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
damn, why didnt i think of it sooner. have you defragged your harddrive. start menu>programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmentor

NOOBIE

yep have done that. those were the first things i tried. thanx for helping me. im clueless as to what is the problem

narafa

NOOBIE said:
um no i havent ran check disk as i dont know what it is? but when the comp is going slow i hear alot of hardrive noise like its continuesly trying to look for something. i havent had any loss of data

Lots of Hard Disk Noise???!!! Hmmmm....Seems like you will need to run a check disk for your computer to see if you have any errors or not.

Run the check disk for every partition, and it is recommended that you stop all other running programs while doing so. Right click the partition, choose properties, then choose the tools tab, and click on check now under the error-checking section.

If you are using WinXP, you will see 2 options:

1. Automatically fix file systems errors
2. Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

The first option is sceduled in your next windows restart, it won't be performed immediately, while the second one will be performed immediately.

If you have win98 or winME as a second operating system in your PC, I recommend that you perform the scandisk there, it's much more better than this dummy scan disk of the winXP as it goes through all the clusters of the partition and marks the bad sectors, if any, so that they are not used to store any data on. But beware, it takes time, a lot of it.

After you finish your Scan Disk, perform the Defragment as mentioned by elmarcorulz.

I don't think you will be experiencing any more slowness after this :D

Hellbreather

Of course downloading things is a real resource hog, and as another suggestion,do not leave your computer on overnight, or if you have to do, dont do it very often as this can lead to such problems.

As long as you run anti-spyware/anti-virus scans and Narafa's and elmarcorulz's suggestions your computer should be fine.

Hellbreather

Always happy to be of assistance :D
If your computer is still slow then please let us know and we'll give you some more help :p

randruff

try this....

1. double click on my computer
2. right click on your HD and goto properties
3. click the tools tab
4. you will see scandisk, click to scan now
5. more than likely you will be told it cannot do it currently, schedule it to run on next startup.
6. next time you resart, it will run

lemme know if that helps, good luck.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
if you truely suspect a HD going bad, you could try the following steps for a DFT hard drive check (created by IBM/Hitatchi), or Seagate SeaTools also has a good one that will check your memory as well. Most HD manufacturers have a non windows HD check program of some sort, and most are designed especially for thier HD technology (although IBM and Seagates will work with most any HD). If you don't want to get this far into HD error checking, just disregard... :)

-Download DFT here
-the simplest way is to download the floppy image and put it on a floppy disk, (they also have a ISO for cd's if you know how to do that).
-put the floppy in and reboot
-choose ATA not SCSI, (unless you have a SCSI drive, which most people don't)
-let it scan for your installed drives, choose your HD, (use the tab key to move around), and run an intensive scan of you HD.

This is all done outside of Windows and is very accurate!, (no win api's or anything), it's actually running IBM's PCDos from the floppy.

If the test results come back RED,... bad sectors, GREEN,.. all good.