COMPUTER SOUND CARD AND MICROPHONE PROBLEMS..

mikeisthename56

So im on skype and wanna chat to my mates- I haven't got any speakers on my pc so I always plug my apple ear pods into the headphone jack- and can hear audio fine- but when I go on skype.. It says "no sound card or microphone detected" I update both my drivers and try again- same error- Now keep in mind that these are original apple headphones and the mic works.. So then I plug my earbuds into the microphone jack then it works! But I can hear any audio from it... HELP! I can't even hear the other person...

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's because the apple headphones have both the audio and microphone incorporated into the 3.5mm jack. Usually on a PC, that's split up into two. A jack dedicated for receiving audio and another for sending audio (microphone).

Your cheapest method's probably getting a splitter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...icrophone_splitter-_-9SIA6J32F88863-_-Product

You will have to confirm if your PC does infact have 2 jacks, 1 for headphones, 1 for microphone though .

mikeisthename56

That's because the apple headphones have both the audio and microphone incorporated into the 3.5mm jack. Usually on a PC, that's split up into two. A jack dedicated for receiving audio and another for sending audio (microphone).

Your cheapest method's probably getting a splitter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...icrophone_splitter-_-9SIA6J32F88863-_-Product

You will have to confirm if your PC does infact have 2 jacks, 1 for headphones, 1 for microphone though .
Oh!!! thank you! But why Cant I hear the other person?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Microphone jack - you send audio signal to computer
Headphone jack - you receive audio signal from computer

If you have it plugged into the microphone jack, you're only sending audio signal and cannot receive any signal. Meaning you're not going hear anything.

If you plug it into the headphone jack, you can only receive signals from the computer, so you can hear your friend, but you're not able to send any signals to the computer so your friend can't hear you.

mikeisthename56

Microphone jack - you send audio signal to computer
Headphone jack - you receive audio signal from computer

If you have it plugged into the microphone jack, you're only sending audio signal and cannot receive any signal. Meaning you're not going hear anything.

If you plug it into the headphone jack, you can only receive signals from the computer, so you can hear your friend, but you're not able to send any signals to the computer so your friend can't hear you.
Yeah I plugged it into headphone cant hear friend- but can hear other audio....

Intel_man

VIP Member
You're talking about Skype right?

Make sure in Skype's settings menu, you have selected your headphones as your primary audio device.