Computer specs help,and I want a controller?

I pretty much play games on my consoles but lately I was thinking of getting some games for my pc. I recently bought a game of Steam called Hatred and been playing it and for the most part is runs pretty good but when it goes crazy with multiple explosions I see it stagger a bit.

My question is,Is this due to my grfx card or a combination of my grfx card and pc? Here is my specs...

I7 Core Proccessor
8GB RAM
64 bit OS win 7
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
"If more info is needed let me know"

So would you think if I upgrade my grfx card I could run most games pretty well,Or do I have deeper issues and wouldnt recommend dumping money into my current pc? If a GRFX card would help me out,What do you recommend?

Most games I would stick to the old key board and mouse but this game hatred seems really hard to play with the keyboard and im looking into a game controller/pad to use. I seen videos where you can use ps4 controllers on the pc,but I was unable to get it to work for some reason,I guess I'll just get controller made for pc,any suggestions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely video card. Before we can recommend anything, would need to know budget and also what exact model of power supply you have.

beers

Staff member
The 5700 series was midrange a few years ago, they're okay for basic environments still but definitely outpaced by newer offerings.

As above, budget&PSU will help the most.

Well I opened it up and it says its a Cooler Master RS-500 pcar-A3. Is this the info that was needed?
Id like to stay under $300,,$200 would be ideal ,but around $300 would probably be my limit.

so I would need a new power supply to push a newer card? I guess if it needs to be done,My question is how hard is it to run the new wires,lol as you can tell I dont know much about computers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its not hard at all. Do you have enough room in your case for better video card? Lengthwise?

Shlouski

VIP Member
I would look at the r9 380 or r9 280x and then a corsair cx600 power supply. You will be close to $300 though. The next step up would push you over 300 just for the video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202149

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&cm_re=cx600-_-17-139-028-_-Product

Hey john

I see his psu has 2 12v rails rated at 18 amps each for a total of 36 amps.

I see the 280x needs 30 amps, so I guess 6 amps is not enough for the rest of the system?
I can see that the 380 only needs 25 amps leaving his 11 amps for the rest of the system, if this is enough he could then he could keep his PSU and use his money to buy a wired xbox controller which he can use on his pc.

Profit, I have been using an xbox 360 wired controller on the PC for years now, I like using it for games like GTA, batman and racing games, I do think some games are better with a controller, but other games are much better on the mouse and keyboard. I have only ever tried the xbox controller because its so easy, just plug and play and it seem to work perfectly on every game ive tried that support controllers. Also it seems like most, possibly all games now (i can't say for sure I haven't tried every game) that are released on the xbox and pc have the xbox controller written into the pc games exactly like it is in the xbox game. Basically what I'm trying to say is that the xbox controller will work well with games that support a controller, but on games that were released on the xbox and the pc, plugging in an xbox controller basically turns your pc into an xbox. The games automatically picks up the controller, automatically sets the buttons like they are on the xbox, which also appear in the menus and the auto aim is also seems to be there. Playing with an xbox controller on your pc feel exactly the same as it does on the xbox, but it loads faster and the graphics are better if you have a good pc. I hope you can understand what I mean. I'm playing GTA5 on the pc now with a xbox 360 controller, its great and I didn't need to setup anything, all I did was plug it in and all the hints in game as to which buttons to use and the menus all show the xbox contoller buttons.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I was thinking and I realized that IF you did have enough power with the psu you have already, I don't know if you would need the card to run off both rails or if power supply has the ability to run the load balanced across them or both off of one rail . The 380 needs 2 6 pins pcie power connectors and your power supply has only one, which means you would need a 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie adapter.
It seems some 380's use an 8 pin pcie power connector, which would mean you would need a molex to 6 pin pcie and a 6 pin pcie to 8 pin pcie adapter.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its better that he get a new power supply. The 280x requires a 600 watt psu and the 380 requires a 550 watt psu.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hey john

I see his psu has 2 12v rails rated at 18 amps each for a total of 36 amps.

The 18 amps on the rails only mean that's the limit any (one) rail can pull with out tripping, you cant just add them together. It really only has 30 amps on the 12V rail to share between the two.

Okedokey

and on many older/cheaper units, one of the rails is dedicated to the CPU, leaving only 18A (on the other rail) for the rest of the 12V load.