Computer Specs.

CommanderCkC

Hey,
I am very new to computer building and I am not a wiz at all on what is good or bad in a computer. I have customized a computer at hp.com and was wondering if someone could read over the specs that I am going to place below and tell me if this will be a good computer. PLEASE READ SOON because I will be ordering it as of Friday, July 4. What I am looking for in this computer is to be running video games on all high or very high settings with anti-aliasing at x8. This computer will be used for nothing but gaming. I have a mac laptop that will be used for school work, photography and surfing the net. Please let me know A.S.A.P if this is a good computer. I believe it is good. Also, I am wondering if I need to buy a cable for the monitor I am buying with it. I will ask that to the person who replys. Here are my specs...

SPECS
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9300 (2.5GHz)
Memory: 6GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x2048,2x1024)
Graphics Card: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT, 2 DVI, HDMI adapter
Networking: No Modem
Hard Drive: 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive: LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Secondary CD/DVD Drive: 16x max. DVD-ROM
Front Productivity Ports: 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video, audio
TV & Entertainment Experience: ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Security Software: Norton Internet Security(TM) 2008 - 15 month
Productivity Software: Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
Speakers: Logitech X-530 speakers (5.1)
Keyboard and Mouse: HP keyboard and HP optical mouse edit
Additional Options: Headset: Premium Stereo Headset
Monitor: HP w2207h 22" Wide Flat Panel Monitor

Thank you!

lovely?

wow 2k? thats a bit much.

but if you refuse to learn how to build a computer yourself, then it is fine.

but it will not max out crysis, you can expect to run it at 1280/1024 with all high and 4x AA. or MAYBE 8X AA

CommanderCkC

wow 2k? thats a bit much.

but if you refuse to learn how to build a computer yourself, then it is fine.

but it will not max out crysis, you can expect to run it at 1280/1024 with all high and 4x AA. or MAYBE 8X AA
Well, I honestly don't know shit about computers. I just want what is best in the easiest possible way. But I don't have Crysis I have Battlefield 2 & 2142 and C&C: First Decade. Will I be able to COMPLETELY max out settings on those games? Also on COD4 cause I am getting that game soon.

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
You don't need a 1GB 9800GT, go for a 512MB 4870. And go for 2x2GB of high quality DDR2 memory.

CommanderCkC

[-0MEGA-];1011933 said:
You don't need a 1GB 9800GT, go for a 512MB 4870. And go for 2x2GB of high quality DDR2 memory.
Is the 1GB 9800 too good? They only list like four options. I am VERY inexperienced when it comes to computer hardware. Please help me understand man.

oregon

Yeah, it is good, it is just the "last-gen". ATI's newest cards are great performers and also cheap so everyone really likes them, especially since ATI is the underdog.

I'd say that computer is good, the main drawback would be the price.

CommanderCkC

Yeah, it is good, it is just the "last-gen". ATI's newest cards are great performers and also cheap so everyone really likes them, especially since ATI is the underdog.

I'd say that computer is good, the main drawback would be the price.
Well, hp.com on allows certain options for the video card. This was the best one so I selected it. I know I probably sound like an idiot but I have been buying PC magazines left and right to to figure out what is best. Oregon, I have a couple questions for you. 1. What does the capacity rate for a video card represent? The one I plan on buying is 1GB. 2. Will the specs of the computer posted above be able to run games like Battlefield 2 & 2142, C&C: First Decade, and COD4 on all high or very high settings including AA x8? 3. The cables I asked about... do I need HDMI to DVI cables or HDMI Audio Video Cables? Please respond.

Thanks!

CommanderCkC

Good specs, but highly costly!

My friend got the same from Dell for $1400
Actually I checked the XPSs and they were real expensive! He must have bought it used or maybe just got one hell of a deal. But my configuration will run very smoothly and beautifuly?

CommanderCkC

Should do if you keep everything nice and clean.
I will be keeping it clean because I wont be using the internet on it except for downloading patches and stuff. I don't want to risk getting viruses. That is why I am keeping my Mac. So overall I am looking at a really good system?

lovely?

yeah it will run great but like people say, your really paying for it. and cod4 will be your slave with that computer lmao, i run it completely maxed out (actually i run it higher then the game even allows :D ) and it never ever lags. your computer will have two more cores and a better video card.

CommanderCkC

yeah it will run great but like people say, your really paying for it. and cod4 will be your slave with that computer lmao, i run it completely maxed out (actually i run it higher then the game even allows :D ) and it never ever lags. your computer will have two more cores and a better video card.
Wow. I am so stoked now! I can't wait to order it!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Not bad. A bit ($600-$700) overpriced. But overall, great! Only game you'll have problems with is Crysis. Good build.

Only thing worrying is that it doesn't show what PSU they put in.

2048Megabytes

[-0MEGA-];1011933 said:

I agree with Omega concerning the RAM. 6 gigabytes of RAM is excessive. You certainly won't need anymore RAM than 4 gigabytes.

cohen

I will be keeping it clean because I wont be using the internet on it except for downloading patches and stuff. I don't want to risk getting viruses. That is why I am keeping my Mac. So overall I am looking at a really good system?

Well yeah should be fine, like you can use the net but no bad sites, but with those speaks you won't see a difference.

But it is very good

I agree with Omega concerning the RAM. 6 gigabytes of RAM is excessive. You certainly won't need anymore RAM than 4 gigabytes.

Yes i agree.

oregon

Well, hp.com on allows certain options for the video card. This was the best one so I selected it. I know I probably sound like an idiot but I have been buying PC magazines left and right to to figure out what is best. Oregon, I have a couple questions for you. 1. What does the capacity rate for a video card represent? The one I plan on buying is 1GB. 2. Will the specs of the computer posted above be able to run games like Battlefield 2 & 2142, C&C: First Decade, and COD4 on all high or very high settings including AA x8? 3. The cables I asked about... do I need HDMI to DVI cables or HDMI Audio Video Cables? Please respond.

Thanks!

Capacity rate probably represents the bandwidth of the card, and I don't know how its determined but I'm pretty sure it's affected by the core speed and the memory on the card. 1GB would be the memory.

Don't pay too much attention to the video memory though because the core is much more important. Like Omega said, the 4870 has less memory but a much better core and is a better card by far.

The comp your planning will run all those games maxed.

As to cables, you will need a cable for the monitor for sure, and maybe an audio cable. Most monitors are DVI, and so you will want a standard DVI cable, which probably comes with. The other cables you probably don't need at all. HDMI is mostly used for HDTV's, though a few video cards and monitors have HDMI ports (as well as having DVI).