Computer start-up issue

leftygrove

Hey guys, I'm new and I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place.

About a month ago I drove home from school for Thanksgiving break with my computer, and it wouldn't start at home. (Computer is on newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113108 ) I would literally hit the power button, and nothing would happen. I opened up my computer and pushed all the wires to make sure that they were properly connected. After I did that, it started up fine.

I'm back home again for winter break, and I'm having the same exact problem. I opened up my computer and pushed all the wires in again, but this time, it's still not starting.

I'm assuming there's something wrong with the connections in the power supply or the starter button. Do I have to take apart my computer completely to try to fix this problem? Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You must have a loose power connection somewhere. Maybe the 20/24 pin motherboard power supply connection? Is this a store bought system or custom built system?

Also, you can check to see if its a bad power switch just by shorting the 2 pins that the power switch is hooked up to.

leftygrove

Hey, thanks for the response. The computer is a Gateway that I bought off newegg (store-bought).

I disconnected and reconnected the 24/20 pin connection and it didn't help. I also don't think it's the power supply because I checked it with a meter and it seems OK... all but 2 of the connections were grounded.

I'm trying to check if it's the power switch but I'm not sure how to short it. I'm just not good with this stuff.

I'm lost :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Shorting just means jumping the 2 pins with something that conducts electricity, like a small piece of metal...knife, screwdriver etc...