Computer Start up problems

Gibson

Member
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my computer starting up.

Basically when I first turn it on nothing appears on the screen, the HDD light on front of case flickers once still nothing then flickers again and then turns off for about 10 secs then starts again. Some times if I turn it off and on again it will start 2nd time but then sometimes it can got one for about 5mins to get my computer to start!

When it starts it works fine no Lag or crashing etc. I have tried moving and replacing with brand new stips of RAM and still the same i've pull all boards out and replaced them still the same. Unplugged all harddrives apart from operating one and also unplugged operating to see if it will boot into DOS or Bios but nothing :(

I have checked all power ports etc and seems fine.

So does anyone have any ideas please?

Many thanks
Joe
 
You might want to try resetting your cmos. Do this by first removing power from the power supply then remove cmos battery, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge motherboard. Wait a minute or so and then reinsert the battery and power to PS. Providing you had no special settings in the bios, the computer should boot up normally. If you had other settings, you would need to go in and change them now.
 
Hey!!!

Thanks for the reply :)

I have just tried wha you said and it did exactly the same :(

Any other ideas?

Many thanks
Joe
 
Most likely you have a bad piece of hardware that is causing the problem. You may want to remove everything that is not needed to run the system. Basically all you want is hard drive, 1 stick of ram, keyboard, mouse, video. disconnect everything else and see if the computer works correctly. If it does then start adding stuff back until you find the culprit.
 
Hey!

Right I've tried that with just these items:

Ram/Graphics card/HDD/ and cpu (keyboards etc) and still the same :(

Cheers
Joe
 
I have tried different RAM but as for Graphics its a graphics card and has no on board graphics. Thing is all our computers have same graphics cards in and are all PCI-e so I havent got any old ones lying around any more :(
 
you checked ram...
you checked video card...

next i would check power supply.

after that it is mobo, bios(which might mean new mobo), or cpu.
 
hmm I can't practically try it without taking other working computers apart again lol. What i don't understand i usually you have a problem like this it effects windows itself but once its booted up its great. Can handle Adobe CS4 premier and other programs like Maya with ease. But it doesn't make sense :/
 
sounds like it is touchy and probably on the verge or going out completely.

try what i said earlier... PS bios if you feel comfortable flashing a bios then mobo or cpu. it has to be a core problem since it fails post.
 
no i would try the power supply first because it is easier

then try flashing the bios... of course you are aware that you could totally toast your computer if you do this wrong or if the computer dies in the middle of this... (see power supply option)

then i would try which ever you want to try mobo or cpu.... its a toss up but its usually the mobo that has issues, but i have had to replace cpu's before.
 
hey right ok!

Yeh I know about the Bios :) I've done stuff doing Hackintosh and alsorts just have to take it nice and slow lol

Cheers thanks alot!
Joe
 
Back
Top