Computer startup problem

CX524

Hi guys,

Im helping a friend with his computer, and i have a problem....

The comp is getting power, cause the green light on the back of the power supply is on, but when i press the power button, nothing happens, no fans spool up, everything is just dead, any ideas? could it be the mobo?

Instinct5

the motherboard could be fried or a wiring problem. check your wiring make sure nothing is out of place or not connected.

CX524

so if the mobo is fried it could possibly lead to nothing booting up too?

if the power supply's green LED in the back is on, could it still be screwed?

Instinct5

im not sure about the powersupply thing but i had a fried mobo and it fickered lights on for like a milisecond and thats all... Even thought he green led light on the mobo still came on it was fried.

CX524

the fan on the power supply doesnt turn either, so does that point towards the power supply or still points towards the mobo?

nffc10

Power Supply mate. I've had the same problem recently, it ended up taking my Graphics card with it but nothing else!

giarc

Power supply

It may well be just your power supply.
Check the voltage switch on the back of your power supply to ensure correct voltage.
Test the power supply by removing it from the casing or just unplugging it from the board then use a paper clip, open it up and place the ends into the green wore and any other black wire.
If it powers up then the supply is good and if not well then you know the result