computer that did the most to advance technology?

jrguillett2

Ok well i know their are thousands of computer models but what 1 model do you think changed the industry the most?

I am going with the xerox alto nothing like it came after or before it not just because it was a gui that idea was already made with pds-1 but because it was better and more known its programing was faster and it was too and it applyed all the ideas of a modern computer at once.

37-Xerox-Alto.gif

tlarkin

VIP Member
I would say you are almost asking the wrong question....What software advanced us the most? After all, hardware is pointless with out the proper software to run on it.

I would say Unix, since it started the whole Operating System and user interaction with computers.

Laquer Head

I remember using Unisys ICONs in school..

Not that they were advanced or helpful to the learning process...but the classic green text on black and the soothing sound of blip-blip-blip-blop-bonk-blip, sure brings back the memories!

If you went to high school or little school in Ontario in the 80's or 90's...you used an ICON!

lovely?

I would say you are almost asking the wrong question....What software advanced us the most? After all, hardware is pointless with out the proper software to run on it.

I would say Unix, since it started the whole Operating System and user interaction with computers.

software cant exist without..... hardware? ;)

i vote for my pc. its radical design and use of the rare antec 900 and blue cathodes was revolutionary at the time of its conception.

tlarkin

VIP Member
software cant exist without..... hardware? ;)

i vote for my pc. its radical design and use of the rare antec 900 and blue cathodes was revolutionary at the time of its conception.

Hardware is 100% pointless with out software. Software is what humans use to use computers. While equally as important you can have the ferrari of hardware in your rig but if you are running unusable software it is lame and pointless.

Hugh9191

Hardware is 100% pointless with out software. Software is what humans use to use computers. While equally as important you can have the ferrari of hardware in your rig but if you are running unusable software it is lame and pointless.

They're both equally important! You can't run hardware without software and you can't run software without hardware!

If it's the computer that did the most to advance tech for me I would say the Apple II as it was one of the first successful mass produced computers.

I think all the computers that did the most to advance tech are going to be old ones because the modern differences (whilst significant) are just incremental in comparison to some of the revolutions the first computers bought.

tlarkin

VIP Member
What about the very first pentium.... I remember it was staggering compared to my 486.

The 386 had the first math co-processor that was sort of huge, and the Amiga was the first computer ever with dedicated video memory, kind of the beginning of video cards.

lovely?

sarcasm is lost on the interwebs... but i already knew that. :rolleyes: