Computer to TV

trogita

I bought and installed a VGA card with TV out, now what do i do to use my tv as a monitor(for PC games)?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
First there should be a composite or s-video TV OUT connector on your card. Make sure that is properly attached to your TV. I have an ATI card with ATI Enhanced Display Drivers for XP so I know the layout of those setting. Take a look at the settings of your card and it should have the option of switching from monitor to tv. You might also need to adjust the tv out resolution because the screen area resolution (in display properties -> setting) might not match the TV OUT resolution.

Last edited:

trogita

(newbish)- Where would i find these settings, in the control panel, all i see is Intel Graphics Technology, and none of those settings seem to concern switching from monitor to TV?

trogita

i purchased it on ebay, and it didn't specify a brand, it was shipped out of the box and was just wrapped up, and i don't see any markings on it that specify either. It just says, "VGA IN TO 4 TV OUT, PCI CARD".

SlothX311

well i know all about the nvidia ones, either way try this:

right click the desktop and then go to properties, then click settings, followed by advanced....then, depending on the chipset and wiether or not you have the drivers installed, there should be an ATI or Nvidia display tab with a company logo, somewhere under this tab you should be able to find something about auto detecting a tv, you may have to manually have to switch over due to the fact that some chipsets only support tv or computer monitor at once, sum wont let you view both at the same time.....

trogita

well, i guess i don't have an nvidia then, cause i don't see a tab anywhere for ATI or nvidia, well, there was never any hardware installation wizard when i first installed it, is that bad?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
trogita said:
well, i guess i don't have an nvidia then, cause i don't see a tab anywhere for ATI or nvidia, well, there was never any hardware installation wizard when i first installed it, is that bad?

I can not believe you do not have any documentation as to the brand and model number of the card... Check the card itself.. is their any writing on the card... numbers... a name?

(once you find out the brand and model number you can download the necessary drivers)

SlothX311

yeah i couldnt believe that there was any documentation of a brand or anything, if you go to microsoft.com and do the updates, and then go to software updates, it will autodetect your drivers that you need, should say what sorta chipset you have there, either way, there should still be some way to change to tv out in the properties, or else the card wouldnt have a tv out port :p

trogita

Ok, i have now established that it is an ATI technologies card. I went to install new hardware and everything and it says, "The file "ati2mpaa.sys" on (Unknown) is needed.
Then it says to select a file path. Umm..What next?

Geoff

VIP Member
go to www.nvidia.com and www.ati.com and download both of those drivers, even though it thinks its an ATI doesnt mean it actually is, so download those from the websites, and when you install the ATI driver, if your card is an nVidia, it will give an error message (same with the nVidia) and they should have the file that your missing.

Echo_

trogita said:
(newbish)- Where would i find these settings, in the control panel, all i see is Intel Graphics Technology, and none of those settings seem to concern switching from monitor to TV?

seeems like you havent disabled your integrated grphx