computer turning on/off issues

roaminggnome55

hi again everyone,
well, this problem has been going on for a while but it wasn't until now that I've decided to ask you nice folks on cf. My computer (a dell, unfortunately) does this thing where if I turn it off for too long (15+ minutes) it doesn't turn back on. In order to turn it back on, i need to either a) unplug everything in the back, wait, plug in the power cord and then go from there, or if a fails, then b) reset the motherboard by taking out the battery and putting it back in. I don't want to do this to the mobo too much so i generally just keep my computer on all the time. but occasionally (trips, etc) i want to turn off my computer but i can't because I don't want to have to go through the whole ordeal of getting it working again. I've talked to many people about this, and nobody knows anything about it. I've googled it, and still nothing useful. The dell tech support couldn't have been farther from helpful, and I'm starting to get frustrated with my computer. If anyone has this problem or thinks they know how to fix it PLEASE share with me before i get fed up and drop-kick my computer out my window.

thx much
The Roaming Gnome

Last edited:

ryurich

It sounds like the problem is just the power supply, it may just be an old supply that is faulty, unable to start up again without resetting it.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
hi again everyone,
well, this problem has been going on for a while but it wasn't until now that I've decided to ask you nice folks on cf. My computer (a dell, unfortunately) does this thing where if I turn it off for too long (15+ minutes) it doesn't turn back on. In order to turn it back on, i need to either a) unplug everything in the back, wait, plug in the power cord and then go from there, or if a fails, then b) reset the motherboard by taking out the battery and putting it back in. I don't want to do this to the mobo too much so i generally just keep my computer on all the time. but occasionally (trips, etc) i want to turn off my computer but i can't because I don't want to have to go through the whole ordeal of getting it working again. I've talked to many people about this, and nobody knows anything about it. I've googled it, and still nothing useful. The dell tech support couldn't have been farther from helpful, and I'm starting to get frustrated with my computer. If anyone has this problem or thinks they know how to fix it PLEASE share with me before i get fed up and drop-kick my computer out my window.

thx much
The Roaming Gnome

PSU or loose connector. Unfortunately... The Dell's PSU's are not standard, and they cost an arm and an leg to replace... (literally)... So... Get an scraped one and take the PSU...

before i get fed up and drop-kick my computer out my window

Ooh, some Tae Kwon Do? :p (And technically, you can't drop kick it)

PC eye

banned
Hey Norris got too old for kicking boxing the Dell there. :p

One thing to try before yanking the battery out all of the time since clearing the cmos isn't the solution is simply unplugging the ac cord with the breaker switch off of course. Once unplugged simply turn the breaker on and try powering up without the ac cord in.

This will discharge the obviously weak caps inside the supply. Then turn the breaker off and replug the ac cord and try again. If the system fires right up then you know the supply is still good enough for recycling power. I thought we once had a thread on "Dell whatever" at one time! :eek: :p