Computer "turns off" then restarts

irsmart

Hello

Thanks for your help in advance and everybody who previously helped me.

I have Windows SP2. Last night I was using it in a non-administrator account (didn't install any programs), then shut it down. It restarted like normal and came back to the login screen. Every time I shut it down (from the login screen, start menu, task manager) it keeps restarting. Right now, I have to shut it down by shutting it down and before it loads turn the toggle switch off on the back of the computer. How can I fix this?

Thanks again!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I assume the power button does the same? How about outside windows? Typically if you boot to a disk or something then press the power button, it'll cut right off. It's probably a stupid little problem with Windows, but I like to check it's not hardware related.

irsmart

Okay, that's odd...

I shut down the computer, then when it was still booting up (before Windows), I pressed the power button. It still restarted...

I thought it was a problem with Windows, but it probaly is a hardware problem. Now, what do I do to solve it?? :confused:

Thanks!

P.S. I threw something at the power strip (the modem/router) and it switched the computer off last night. Could that have caused it?

Last edited:

JamesC

First I was thinking it could be that your "power button" is set on the "reset jumper", I have had that happen a few times :p

Well, if it keeps restarting even though you select Shutdown from the UI, it could be a bunch of different things ranging from bad hardware to some semi-malicious software.

My $0.02

irsmart

I scanned for viruses (and there weren't any, with AVG free)

Could there be a setting in the BIOS that is messing this up? What would it be?

And ya, (as Mr. Draco Malfoy said) I am shutting down the computer and switching the toggle switch before anything restarts because I don't want Windows to cause any errors and have to do the disk check (maybe I should do that, though)

Thanks.

Any other suggestions? :)

kobaj

VIP Member
Check inside windows for "restart after power failure" also in your bios. Maybe your switch is bad or something too.

keddy_rocks

Remove the HDD's IDE or SATA Cable
And Try to Off pc by pressing Power Key.

If Same problem occurds then it is a Cabinet Related Problem

irsmart

Thanks for everybody's help. I fixed it - I updated a scriptwriting program I was using when the modem got thrown at the power strip. It's fixed!

Thanks!

Viking

I think your power supply is going bad. With AT power supplies the on/off switch went directly to the power supply. With ATX all the wires go to the mainboard. So I would think it is the power supply or the mainboard.

subtle

P.S. I threw something at the power strip (the modem/router) and it switched the computer off last night. Could that have caused it?
Did you try with modem/router unplugged?
Or if it doesn't help try to unplug your network card.
I'd say that if the strange things start happening right after you dropped something on power strip it probably damaged something.