Computer Upgrade Help

-Freedom-

New Member
My computer is really old now (more than 4 years) and I'm thinking about upgrading it. I've never done this before so i may need a few tips.

First off, here are my computer specs:
Processor - Intel Pentium D 3.20GHz
Motherboard- MSI N1996
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS
Power Supply - 400W
RAM - 1 X 1GB
Hard Drives - Western Digital Raptors (WD740GD) 2 X 74GB

The computer has mainly been used for internet use, gaming and a bit of photoshop and animation. Recently, I realised the computer is really slow at alt+tab. There is quite a major delay while playing a full screen game (such as CS:Source).

Is it worth upgrading or should I just buy/build a new pc? I'm willing to spend $400-$600. I would prefer to spend less.
 
Last edited:
My computer is really old now (more than 4 years) and I'm thinking about upgrading it. I've never done this before so i may need a few tips.

First off, here are my computer specs:
Processor - Intel Pentium D 3.20GHz
Motherboard- MSI N1996
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS
Power Supply - 400W
RAM - 1 X 1GB
Hard Drives - Western Digital Raptors (WD740GD) 2 X 74GB

The computer has mainly been used for internet use, gaming and a bit of photoshop and animation. Recently, I realised the computer is really slow at alt+tab. There is quite a major delay while playing a full screen game (such as CS:Source).

Is it worth upgrading or should I just buy/build a new pc? I'm willing to spend $400-$600. I would prefer to spend less.

MSI boards should have MS-xxxx V.xx type numbers as the identifier.

The number you provided is the C-Tick number:

A C-Tick mark may also appear on our MSI products that are required to comply with Australian electromagnetic compatibility requirements and radio-communications standards. It signifies that the product may be legally sold in Australia. Now it requires EMC compliance must be marked with the C-tick logo and ACA supplier code number. Our ACA supplier code is N1996. The supplier is responsible for holding a Compliance Folder that contains compliant test reports and a Declaration of Conf

The only other ID this shows is an HP MB N1996(argon).

Run PC Wizard from CPUID and it should tell you the correct MB ID.
 
Last edited:
Antec TWO HUNDRED + Antec NEO ECO 520C combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.359313

XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 + AMD Athlon II X3 435 combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.345872

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM + ASUS M4A77TD combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.333259

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB (or re-use existing)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098

Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B - OEM (or re-use existing)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030
 
So, let's see a budget!

I'm willing to spend $400-$600. .

I think the Motherboard is a MSI 650 GM-L.

I'm looking at this build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.346055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.359223

All up $500.

I could re-use my case, HD's and DVD Drive.
Don't need a OS for now.

Is my PSU enough 400W? (Brand?)
Where is a good place to sell my old parts?
 
I think the Motherboard is a MSI 650 GM-L.

I'm looking at this build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.346055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.359223

All up $500.

I could re-use my case, HD's and DVD Drive.
Don't need a OS for now.

Is my PSU enough 400W? (Brand?)
Where is a good place to sell my old parts?

PSU - 400W not enough. I would recommend 550W.
case - your current mobo is mATX, you need to check if your case could use ATX mobo.
 
My computer is really old now (more than 4 years) and I'm thinking about upgrading it. I've never done this before so i may need a few tips.

First off, here are my computer specs:
Processor - Intel Pentium D 3.20GHz
Motherboard- MSI N1996
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS
Power Supply - 400W
RAM - 1 X 1GB
Hard Drives - Western Digital Raptors (WD740GD) 2 X 74GB

The computer has mainly been used for internet use, gaming and a bit of photoshop and animation. Recently, I realised the computer is really slow at alt+tab. There is quite a major delay while playing a full screen game (such as CS:Source).

Is it worth upgrading or should I just buy/build a new pc? I'm willing to spend $400-$600. I would prefer to spend less.

I would get a Bit better PSU ~500-600W(preferrably Corsair or Antec) a radeon HD 4770 and 4 gb of ram
 
Thanks for the feedback.

PSU - 400W not enough. I would recommend 550W.

Is this PSU better?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

case - your current mobo is mATX, you need to check if your case could use ATX mobo.

Completely forgotten about that, thanks for reminding me. I checked the case and the dimensions of mid-sized ATX case are the same. Also, the dimensions on the 'board thing' (don't know exact terms) of the case can fit an ATX motherboard.

I'm definitely get these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.346055
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.359223

Are these any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=sunbeam_contact-_-35-207-004-_-Product

This makes my total about $600 so far. I think thats as far as i am going unless I can sell off my old parts.

Where can i sell off my old parts?

What do you think of my upgrade?
 
Back
Top