Computer Virus Question

cdanik

My family managed to load several viruses onto the family computer last week (Luckily I have my own computer :)), and there are a TON of pictures and other important files on that computer that are not backed up.

The viruses seem to be almost "destroying" the hard drive. First it loaded a fake antivirus program that I can't get rid of on the PC. Then a couple of hard drive sectors were marked as bad by the system. Now when I try to boot up, there are several windows boot files that I are corrupted. When I was able to get on the computer, and I tried to open Task Manager or command prompt, I was told that the files were corrupted (This is likely that the virus is tricking the system to think this).

Would it be safe to use a SATA to USB cable to make the attach the hard drive to my computer to be able to copy the pictures to my computer? Or would I be risking infection on my own computer?

cdanik

I will try that combo fix. The computer is running McAfee suite, and I got a couple messages from McAfee that it had removed a trojan, but it keeps coming back.

It is pretty unlikely that a picture is an infected file, right?

cdanik

Thank you for your help. I'm running the recovery option from windows to recover a corrupted boot file, then I will run combofix. If I am unable to remove the threats, I will attempt to use my SATA to USB cable and HOPE that my computer doesn't become infected. I didn't include the viruses in my last post, so here are the viruses that McAfee found were HTML/FakeAV trojan and dnschanger.r trojan.