Computer will not shut down or go to sleep

iameatingjam

After trying many different fixes I decided just to save myself the headache and do a fresh install of Windows 7, but it still freezes every time I try to shutdown or go to sleep. And yes, all USB devices are disconnected.

I have an i5 2320 3GHZ, 8GB 1333mhz ddr3 ram, 1TB HDD, gigabyte geforce 660 GPU and this power supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028 (it has served me well with no problems for over a year now...)

I tried removing my video card, and each stick of ram individually. And also flashing cmos and none of that helped. Unfortunately I don't have a spare power supply kicking around. Its worth noting that when booted up on the recovery partition of my hard drive I CAN restart.

Any help greatly appreciated! Also, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section I was not so sure. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What specific hard drive do you have? Have you done a diagnostic on it yet? The power supply you have isn't highly recommended.

iameatingjam

it is a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

I tried the windows error checking feature but it found no problems. What other diagnostics would you suggest?

Also, I stole the PSU from my girlfriends computer and hooked it up to mine. The computer then properly shutdown once, and then back to the same problem with the following attempts. I guess that rules out PSU.

iameatingjam

Connect my gfs hard drive and voila! It will now shut down properly! I've been looking for an excuse to get a ssd anyway. Thanks for the help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say there was an issue with the hard drive you had. But you shouldn't have plugged in a different hdd that had windows installed on it. It could have screwed up the drivers.

iameatingjam

Oh that's not good... So that would negatively effect the computer the hard drive came from right? Cause that one's USB 3 ports stopped working afterwards lol. I don't really care the USB 2 still works and there doesn't seem to be any other problems.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you need to do is reinstall the usb 3.0 driver. If you list the motherboard model and what operating system you are running then we can link you to the driver.

iameatingjam

It is this computer

except downgraded to windows 7. Belarc advisor says the board is "ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M11BB Rev X.0x. I'm guessing its made specifically for this model.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately there is no usb 3 driver on the driver list, so do this. Go into device manager and find an entry that still needs a driver and right click and click on properties. Then go to the details tab and give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers. They look like this. ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy where x and y are 4 alphanumeric digits. You may have to change the property to hardware id to see it.

iameatingjam

there are two entries:
SM Bus controller:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_85271043&REV_14
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&SUBSYS_85271043
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_780B&CC_0C05

And Universal Serial Bus controller (I'm guessing this is it)

PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&SUBSYS_84881043
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1042&CC_0C03

thanks for the help

iameatingjam

Thanks man, worked great!

I have one more question for you. Do you think it would be safe to use the potentially damaged hard drive as a secondary drive when my ssd comes in? It didn't have any problems that I could see other than the shutdown issue. Or is that a good sign it wont last much longer?