Computer Will Not Turn On

Kohr'dan Voss

For the last couple weeks here, my computer would freeze up (mouse wouldn't move and there were less noises coming from the CPU). When this would happen, I'd hold down the power button until it turned off, then I would reset it. This would always restart until an hour ago. It froze, I turned it off, but now it won't start.
It kind of starts, meaning that it will turn on, the monitor will snap on for just a second and then go back to idle. The power turns over (like a car) but doesn't boot up completely. Power to the cd drive and the fan work, and it seems like it starts up normally for only five seconds. I've tried unplugging the power supply off the back and restarting it but that would not work as well.
I'm using a Dell Dimension 2350 personal computer with Windows XP Pro. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trio

How about providing some background on your computer? Like any unusual things happening to your computer before this happened?

Those noises you've heard is the hard drive. If the hard drive crashed, maybe you could go into the BIOS and see if it's still present? What I would have suggested if you were still able to get into windows was get on in safe mode and run a virus scan.

I had a similar problem with my monitor before. Just curious, but do you have a graphics card? You could try using something else as a monitor, like a television. Disable the graphics card and use the onboard graphics and see if it still happens.

Last edited:

Kohr'dan Voss

I don't have a graphics card. The monitor seems to be working just fine. Nothing seemed to be wrong other than the computer would freeze a few times.

Trio

Was there something in particular that causes the crash? Like opening a program? Or it would just crash at random moments?

Kohr'dan Voss

No, it would just crash at random times. I used to think that it was from running too many programs, but the last time I had Windows Media Player running and left it on overnight. Sometime in between 3am and 1pm it crashed.

remixedcat

banned
different thread same response:

Dell-One word to describe that problem of yours--Please replace pc... or user and try again.!

A Cheese Danish

No, it would just crash at random times. I used to think that it was from running too many programs, but the last time I had Windows Media Player running and left it on overnight. Sometime in between 3am and 1pm it crashed.

By too many programs, Can you remember how many you had running before it would lock up?
Have you cleaned out the case lately? Could be a heat issue.
You may also want to try clearing your CMOS as well.