Computer won't boot

Idans10

I have a question. I took an old pc in order to upgrade it to my son, not something new but useful. I bought a new motherboard, AFOX H61 chipset and had a used but working CPU I-5 3570K. But when I connected the motherboard, the PC turned on, fans worked, but no beep at the beginning or anything on the monitor. of course I checked the monitor on ther PC and it worked and so the PSU, I tried it with a working one, of course. I really can't tell what's the problem. Can anyone assist here?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved your post to a new thread.

What is the exact model of motherboard? Is there system speaker attached to motherboard? Since its not posting, you'll hear bios beep codes which will tell you whats wrong. Have you tried removing and replacing the ram? Very limited support for no name brand motherboards. You have both main and 4 pin cpu connectors attached? Did you brass standoffs between motherboard and case so it wouldn't ground out?

Idans10

Thanks for your reply. Well, this is the model of my motherboard

AFOX H61 B3 VGA DVI Micro ATX IH61-MA5​

I tried to remove the ram, didn't work with or without the ram. No speaker system attached. I connected both 4 pins and 24 pins to the motherboard. and the motherboard is well placed so it wouldn't touch anything. really frustrating since there isn't too much room to put it wrong yet it's still not working

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it definitely won't boot without the ram in it.
and the motherboard is well placed so it wouldn't touch anything
So did you use standoffs between motherboard and case? If you didn't the motherboard is most likely grounding out against the case. Unless the case has raised spots to act as standoffs you'll need these. It's also possible the motherboard is just bad.

standoff.jpg

Idans10

Yes, I used the standoffs. I take in consider that it may be the motherboard, but it's completely new so it's weird. The battery in it may be an option? To take it out and put it back in?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because its new doesn't mean anything. Is it this board?

See the 4 pin connector above the Fpanel connector? Buy one of these and put it on there and see what beep codes you get.

CalebM_

I have the exact same board and issue, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have tried multiple ram modules and still I only get whiring fans and no post codes (However with no ram I get 4 beeps). It currently has an i3 2120 and 4gb of kingston "KVR16N11/8". Also tested with a known working powersupply

beers

Staff member
Did you upgrade the BIOS? A lot of boards needed an update to go between Sandy (2xxx) and Ivy (3xxx).

CalebM_

Simply inst working with the 2120. All together I cannot figure out what the problem is, Ive built a few computers in the past but I have no Idea on what to do next.

beers

Staff member
All together I cannot figure out what the problem is,
Does it give you any beep codes if you hook up a PC speaker to the header? Usually it will tell you audibly a particular error code. Otherwise if it used to work and doesn't now it might have just failed, esp if you've done things like swap in a known good PSU.

CalebM_

Your probably right, it might really just be that something is dead. There are no beep codes unless I unistall the ram modules (4 beeps), Ive also done the following to no progress:
1.Connected the bare minimum usb peripherals
2.Tried to power on using integrated intel graphics
3.Tried a different known working power supply
4. Tried various DDR3 ram modules

There is no damage on any of the components visually by the way

CalebM_

Have done so, looks ok. However I feel like I’ve made some progress as when I take out the cpu it does the exact same thing, this would mean the cpu is dead…? The only thing it still does is max out fan rpm, and make my monitor detect power from the hdmi, no signal though. When the fan is unattached to the cpu it does get quite warm so the cpu is getting power

Last edited:

Okedokey

Time for a rebuild out of the case with the bare bare minimum of hardware. 1 stick of ram, cpu, cooler etc, no hdd, no usb. Open into BIOS, enable and save default safe settings and see if you can slowly add additional hardware to determine what is or isn't working. It may be a short within the case, a bent wire etc. Getting it out of the case and with min setup is your best bet.

CalebM_

Ok so now I get something different, the fans turn on for 2 seconds then shutback down for 4 seconds, and then they just stay on. As I said I cannot even get into the bios or get a display signal, not even my keyboard lights up. Is a fualty cpu likely?
IH61 (1).jpg

beers

Staff member
Mobo's fail more than CPUs do, kind of hard to swap parts around without a spare though, but that's a more likely culprit.

Try the other RAM slot and if no dice then use a different stick of RAM, do you get the same behavior?