Computer won't load BIOS if computer has been shutdown overnight.

Pocket

My computer won't load to BIOS if it's been turned off for 12+ hours.

I have to keep the computer running on a black screen, (Monitor gets no input to turn it on) for about 10 minutes. After it's been running for a while I can restart it and have everything work.

My friend says it could be my PSU, however I think a bad CMOS Battery could make sense as well (Just a guess).

Any ideas on what else could cause this problem and how to narrow it down?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How old is this machine? Store bought or custom built pc? What power supply are you using along with all the other specs?

Try resetting the cmos by unplugging power from the case, then remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, then press the power button on the case a few times to discharge power and then wait a few minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up.

Pocket

Corsair 750 TX
Asus 790FX Crosshair Formula III
AMD Phenom II 965BE
OCZ Black edition DDR3 1600 RAM
Nvidea GeForce 8600GTS
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Video card is extremely old, everything else was bought off newegg last september with the exception of the HDD which was purchased maybe a month ago.

Gonna go try what you said.

Pocket

Possibly try the video card in another machine and see if it works.

Did the battery thing and it booted up fine unfortunately.

Everything on the computer works fine (I'm using it to post in this thread), it's just that after 12 hours~ of the computer being shut off, it needs to be warmed up in order to load anything.

Here's more-less what happens: *After it's been turned off for 12 hours

I turn on the computer, everything makes noises and fans start up and whatnot but the monitor receives no input.
The computer won't load the BIOS splash screen or anything past it. (I can't hear windows log-in noise if I let it run).
If I let the computer run and do nothing (stays at the black screen with all the fans running ect) for 10 minutes~, when I restart the computer everything will load up fine.

I was really hoping it was the battery :(.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So its still doing it after resetting the cmos? If so, then its possible a bad mobo, psu, video card. You can try a different psu and video card and if it still doesn't work right, then you know its a motherboard issue.