Computer wont post

sdsmods

New Member
Well, its about the machine I came to you guys about roughly 6 weeks ago. I was out doing a gig, and when I came home, the PC booted and died after 5 minutes. Now it refuses to post whatsoever.

Specs are in my signature. The motherboard is getting power (and the fancy heatsink LED is lighting up, as well as the LEDs on the soundcard, and the tweak controls), but pressing the power button doesn't cause anything to happen - fans don't spin either. Reseated everything, and tried swapping the power header out for the reset one - still nothing. Interestingly, the LCD poster resets to 00:00:00 everytime I unplug the machine - it never used to do that.

Tried to clear the CMOS and boot with minimal parts (1 HDD, cooler, CPU and 1 stick of RAM - still nothing). Fans are directly tied to the PSU, so either the PSU isn't getting enough power, or the headers on the motherboard are totally dead.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated - this wasn't a cheap machine to build.
 
Last edited:
I don't have another i7 handy :/

Anything else that it might be? I'd wondered about it being the motherboard, but I mean, what would've killed the CPU anyway? It's running in an Antec 1200 with an Arctic Freezer 7 Extreme and all the extra optional fans the case can hold.

It normally idles around 23-24 degrees and runs at 32-35 under load.
 
I should probably add that the fans are independently powered using 4 pin molex connectors - which is why I assumed a problem with the motherboard. Technically, wouldn't a CPU problem cause it to start, the fans to spin/light up and then die?
 
I think I worded my earlier post a bit wrongly. The computer doesn't post - in fact, apart from the tweak buttons and the LED light by the cooler on the motherboard lighting up when its plugged in, it does absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Maybe that helps narrow it down some more?
 
Last edited:
Even if the CPU is dead or motherboard is dead the computer will still turn on but cycle in a on/off loop cycle. Happened o n DOA board i had. It turned on then off non stop every 3 seconds.


I would manually jump the PSU and try fans on it. If they power up then it may be a dead motherboard that possibly shorted out and or dead power supply.
 
Highly unlikely that the CPU is dead. by the time they die, they are 5 generations old...

I'd reseat the memory first (or run with jsut one stick) and if that ahs the same issue, check the motherboard.
 
I already tried to run with one stick - the main point is that the externally powered fans (seperate from the motherboard) don't spin up, or even attempt to. I also noticed that the LCD poster only works when its plugged in, so the CMOS battery isn't working properly.

I'll replace the CMOS battery, and then I'm going to try with my other 500W PSU, just running the board/CPU & cooling, one stick of RAM and a 9800GT "Green Power" (no 6 pin needed), see if I get anything. I don't think the CPU can be dead, but if none of that works, I'll swap it out with a mate tomorrow. That'll also give me another i7 motherboard to test with.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top