Computer won't restart or awaken from sleep

acidbattery

Hi everyone,

I am having two problems with my PC, I'm not sure if they are related or not......... I am using Windows 7 Professional.

Problem 1
This has been going on for a few months now. Whenever I put my computer into sleep mode, everything shuts down as expected. However, when I push the power button to start the computer and resume windows again, different things happen each time. Sometimes the monitor does not start up and the computer just sits in an idle state without the loading light flashing. Sometimes everything starts up but as soon as I reach the windows log in screen, the screen turns blue with a lot of white writing (words and numbers). This screen shows up for a few seconds and then the computer restarts (but restarting now fails, as I'll explain in my second problem). Sometimes everything starts up fine, but it takes a very long time (I have to wait for a few minutes before the log in screen appears, and it appears peice by peice - ie. mouse appears, then text field appears, then buttons appear, then background appears).

Problem 2
This just started happening a couple of days ago. Whenever my computer restarts (either via the start menu option, or during the installation of an update or driver), windows shuts down normally and the screen turns off as expected, however the computer remains in this idle state with the screen turned off, and the loading light is not flashing. I tried entering the system BIOS before windows starts and tried restarting the machine from there (by choosing Exit without Saving Changes) and the same thing happened, the screen switched off but then didn't turn back on again and the loading light stopped flashing. When the computer is in this idle state, if I hold down the power button so the computer turns off, and then push it again to turn the machine back on, everything starts up normally.

Right now, whenever I need to restart my computer from windows, when the computer reaches that idle black screen state, I manually turn the computer off then on using the power button and everything starts up normally. Does anybody know what could be wrong, and what I could do to fix it?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

acidbattery

Thank you for your reply Stoic Sentinel.

The BSOD doesn't always appear. But when it does, its only up for a second and then the screen goes black as the computer tries to restart - so I havn't been able to get an error code. I looked in Device Manager and everything looks up do date and functioning correctly.

stiffinger

won't awake from sleep

Control Panel>Power options for any available adjustment to sleep/wake/device adjustment. Also check MB or product online site for BIOS version that may address 'Vista/Win7 'sleep' issues. Or download and install latest BIOS. Check for adjustment related to 'wake' or 'suspend' in system BIOS.