Computer won't see the phone, can't transfer files

Dimitri

I got a Galaxy S3 and when I plug it into the computer via USB it charges and it makes the sound that it's connected, but the phone won't show up in my computer.

When I first plugged it in it even did some driver install or something, but still nothing. I tried switching back btw camera mode and media device mode, but no change.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did you drag the notification bar down and see the "Charging" icon? Tap that and select "Transfer Files".

Dimitri

Hmm... I don't see a charging icon when I drag the notification bar down.

I see the USB icon where I can switch between camera and media device mode, but no charging icon.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you switch it to media device you should be able to access it under pc. Check disk management on pc to see if it recognizes phone. You may also have to enable usb debugging on your phone.

Dimitri

Disk management doesn't see it.

USB debugging is, IIRC, what I used to have to turn on to get the computer to see the phone when I was on S2, but I can't find the option anywhere on the phone.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try it on a different system if you can, that way we can rule out your pc.

Last edited:

AlienMenace

Do you have wifi connections to your computer? If do, you can try it that way. If you are transferring photo's to the computer, I use dropbox over wifi connections.