Computer Wont Start

elliot_c

I am having a real bad day today, just built my new computer and was running fine for a few hours, I decided to plug a different monitor into it and got a very small spark from the monitor connector (on the motherboard) now the computer will not start at all it turns on and the cpu fan runs but nothing else happens (no hard drive activity or anything coming up on monitors) Anyone have any ideas?? I am going to try to exchange the board for a new one tomorrow but am interested so it never happens again!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use small brass standoffs underneath the motherboard so you don't ground it out? Sounds like you didn't.

elliot_c

Oh Yer!

Year I am new to building computers (my first one built) and have luckly got the motherboard/processor and fan replaced by the shop. You where both kind of right the first one I did use them but used rubber washer because thought it may make it quieter, I take it that stopped it from being earthed and I will always turn it off now when changing monitors. Thanks im such an idiot :rolleyes: but am learning :D

jsawyer1181

Hey everyones gotta learn sometime. At least you were able to get it replaced. Rule of thumb is to never go and connect a monitor to a computer that is powered on, also make sure the screen is off.