Computer wont start

elobire

Started up my computer today and it freezes on the BIOS for about 10 minutes before loading Windows, however after the Winodows splash screen appears the screen goes black and doesnt load any further. I have tried unplugging all the other hard drives and other hardware to check if thats causing it but its no help. The only reason i could think of that caused it is the windows update i installed yesterday, but i dont see how that would cause the BIOS to freeze when the hard drive is not connected.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?
Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove and reinsert the memory. You are correct that a windows update won't cause your bios to freeze. However, a bad hard drive will, so disconnect all hard drives to see if bios responds correctly.

elobire

Remove and reinsert the memory. You are correct that a windows update won't cause your bios to freeze. However, a bad hard drive will, so disconnect all hard drives to see if bios responds correctly.

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried disconnecting the hard drives and reinsering the memory but it doesnt seem to help.

A bit of an update. I left the computer on the blank screen for about 40 minutes and Windows loaded, i have restarted it and it seems to be doing the same thing again. it does usually turn to a black screen after the spash screen for about 15 minuites because of a graphics driver issue i have that i cant fix, but it never takes this long.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You must have some sort of hardware failure. Remove all exiting hardware not required to boot and try again. Could even be cdrom drive.

elobire

I unplugged the SD card reader and the computer started fine. I didnt expect it to be something like that...
Thanks for all the help.