Computer Wont Start

SumomoNeko

My computer froze after I right clicked on an item on a cd that was in my D: drive. It was not responding so I shut it off like I always do when it freezes. It wouldn't turn off so I held down the power button until it did shut off. Now it wont start. When I push the power button nothing happens. Could this be because my power supply is dead or do I need to press some hidden reset button? Or is it something else completely?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Too many things could be wrong here. Try unpluggin the power cable, lettin it sit for a bit, repluggin it in and powering it up for a start.

SumomoNeko

Thanks for the help, I've done that all and just did it again. Once a turn the switch off and on now though it tries to start but quits again right away. Only right after I switch the switch. Well thanks for the help. It was quite the long shot that I could fix this by asking a few questions.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Once a turn the switch off and on now though it tries to start but quits again right away. Only right after I switch the switch.
If i understand you correctly, that's actually normal. Wait a few seconds (or a minute) and turn the power on using the power button on the case

charly

if your pc does'nt even make a beep during power on, try to reset your motherboard + remove the battery for some secs. but if you done with it, you have to set your bios again.

if your fan's are moving by power on, than your supply is ok.
ciao

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
remove the battery for some secs
Dont forget to set the jumper too!

if your fan's are moving by power on, than your supply is ok
Not always, that just means some/most of the rails are functional.... dang ... cant they just make a computer that works? :p

darkd3vil

well i am still gonna go with the psu is shot, get a bigger one there normally pretty cheap on new egg did u install anything recently that needs lots of power say a video card or sound card?