Computer wont turn on even after upgrading the power supply.

mehun

So a couple days ago I decided to clean my pc, just keeping it clean from all the dust, i took out the cpu also checking on the thermalpaste, everything was alright, i put the cpu back plugged my pc in, and then when i tried to turn my pc on, the power button would light up, all the fans would be spinning but the pc wont turn on, so i decided to check the motherboard if anything is wrong with it or if any cables are loose, unscrewed the motherboard took it out, everything looked fine, no burnt spots or anything, put it back inside, screwed it, plugged in my pc, and the power button wouldnt light up anymore and the fans also didnt move, ive tried pretty much everything i could to try and fix it, but nothing would work, after a couple hours of trying to fix it, i thought it might have to been the power supply, i tried using a different cable, but nothing would work, since i had no one to help me or at least use the psu on a different pc, i ordered a new one, the new psu came plugged it in, everything looked fine, but the pc still didnt turn on, so im guessing its something to do with the motherboard, but the motherboard looks fine, theres no burnt spots like i said or any loose cables,
I have a motherboard: MSI B85-G43 Gaming
my old psu: XFX TS 550
new psu: Corsair CX 550
cpu: Intel Core i7-4790k 4.00 ghz
can anyone help?
id really appreciate if someone responded fast, thanks

_Pete_

Take the RAM out and ensure that it is seated properly. Failing that put it back together with just the motherboard connected. If that boots to the POST then work your way through the peripherals one by one.

mehun

So i took out the ram making sure its in properly, but i dont really know what you mean by "with just the motherboard connected" sorry im not a computer guy

mehun

Also, i just tried resetting my pc with one of the buttons, and it worked, what i just realized is that the power button itself isnt working

mehun

The pc wont turn on all the fans are working and the power button is red, where it normally would be blue

mehun

So i plugged in the pins correctly for the power button, everything works but its back to the start, so the button is lighting up and the fans are working, but the pc wont turn on

OmniDyne

What model motherboard is it?

Disconnect everything from the motherboard except required power connectors and RAM; if you have video ports on the motherboard, disconnect the video card as well. See if it will post (boot to BIOS).

_Pete_

That is a classic symptom of the RAM not being seated properly. You could try cleaning the contacts, very very carefully, with a pencil eraser. By just connectiing the motherboard on it's own without anything else connected, such as hard drive, cd player, graphics card etc etc, if it boots to POST then you can be fairly certain that the motherboard is okay. If it boots then add the other components one by one until the pc stops working. In theory that should be your faulty component. Unfortunately computer fault finding can be a bit hit and miss. Removing the CPU is fraught with danger, make sure there are no bent pins. Make sure you take the RAM right out of their slots don't rely on just pushing to see if they are seated properly.

mehun

The problem changed completely though, like i said instead of the pc not lighting up and not responding, this time it actually does light up and all the fans are moving, the pc itself isnt turning on.

mehun

It was basically me being stupid and not checking the other button on my pc (reset button). The pins werent in the right spots so my power button wasnt working.

_Pete_

I'm afraid that Omnidyne does not like me. I can assure you the feeling is absolutely mutual. Most of the time he has no idea what he is talking about. The mods on this forum tolerate these people. Even though I have been polite in my response no doubt the mods will jump on me. I don't really care. Omnidyne has called me rude and other things but he did not have the guts to say it in public. Instead he said in a PM. I have him on ignore but unfortunately I have to read his drivel if I don't log in.

Cleaning the contacts on boards using a pencil eraser (rubber) is a tried and tested method of removing verdigris from gold contacts. Gold and copper contacts can, and do, get corrosion on them. But why would someone like Omnidyne know that.

Anyway he will probably now whinge to the mods and I will be banned. No problem I wont be back anyway.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The issue seemed to be unrelated, but generally speaking I would suggest cleaning of contacts is not necessary. And if it is you are probably better off using rubbing alcohol. Gold doesn't corrode.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest building the pc outside of the case to make sure you aren't shorting the motherboard out against the case. If you removed the cpu from the socket, did you install it correctly?

mehun

Yes I did, I heres the thing, It seems that I have fixed my pc, I can turn it on, do whatever I want, but I can only use 1 stick of RAM, for somereason when i try using the second stick that is on my left, the pc wont turn on.