Computer Won't Turn On (No Power/Flashing Lights At All)

LooN3y

when i woke up today before work, i noticed my desktop had absolutely no power.

none of the flashing lights that are usually on when it's on stand by or sleep. i know its not the power outlet because the screen and couple other things are connected to the same power strip and it gets power.

what's the problem? did my computer short circuit? if so how hard is it to replace the power supply? it's and acer desktop from like 05 or somewhere around that time. would it be tedious to find a power supply that is compatible with it?

if i can't fix it or get it to work, would the short circuit damage the hard drive?

all in all its kind of a good thing, because i've been wanting a new gaming desktop (either custom built or alienware/genisis). but thats a good deal of money, i rather just have a quick fix and get a new desktop later, because i need my desktop, i can't stand just using a note book all day, although i love my 13" macbook pro.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That is not true. You can not to the best of my knowledge, install a 20 pin PSU on a board that needs a 24 pin power.

I've got a basic 480W Antec 20-pin PSU I use at work as a test PSU. Works fine on a variety of boards.