computer won't turn on

ncfcanna

I just bought new parts for my computer:

motherboard
CPU
RAM
DVD-RW drive
hard drive

Keeping my graphics card, power supply and case.

But when everything is plugged in, nothing works. The green LED light on the front of the case is on. But nothing else happens. And I mean nothing. It makes no noise what so ever, the fans don't start up.

Please help!

Alphatronix

Well thats why you never go buying a bunch of new stuff at once. If i were you, i would take all the old parts and put em back in and then replace them with the new parts one at a time. This way you would be able to tell whats wrong. Unfortunelty its rather difficult to help you becuase you have a bunch of new parts lol..

jimmymac

VIP Member
have you connected the wires from the front panel of the case to the motherboard correctly

Is the atx power into the board?

oh and let us know the specs of what you have

ncfcanna

Well thats why you never go buying a bunch of new stuff at once. If i were you, i would take all the old parts and put em back in and then replace them with the new parts one at a time. This way you would be able to tell whats wrong. Unfortunelty its rather difficult to help you becuase you have a bunch of new parts lol..

I can't do that they won't work with each other, as my old parts were so old.

ncfcanna

have you connected the wires from the front panel of the case to the motherboard correctly

Is the atx power into the board?

oh and let us know the specs of what you have

For the front panel stuff I followed the motherboard instruction manual thing. And everything is plugged in to the board.

My new specs:

Asrock 775Dual-VSTA
E6600 Intel duo core CPU
1GB DDRII PC5300 RAM
250GB SATA hard drive
LG DVD-RW

jimmymac

VIP Member
is the motherboard set onto its brass stand offs correctly, worth checking them in case as a short might be cuasing the lack of power to the system

RayH

Three quick things to check:

1. Double-check the power connectors going into the motherboard. Then, check your power switch on the back of the supply if it has one. When I built my system last week, I bumped the PS switch by accident. It stumped me for a couple minutes. It's likely not it though, since you mentioned getting a green light somewhere on the case.

2. Re-check the power switch connector from the front of the case. It's small and easy to put on wrong. Make sure it's on the correct pins. It's easy to goof if up for beginners.

3. Did you remove the front panel of the computer case at any time during the build? If so, check and make sure the power button on the front panel is lined up with the actual button on the case. Sometimes they get out of alignment when you put the panel back on.