computers brake our social life!

MONKEY BOY

i used to b like that .. minus the glasses ..

i hated school
my computer was my only connection to the world
but i left for college this year ..
so i was spending 12- 14 hours in front of a computer a day
but i started to go to like a uth group and met a whole bunch of awesome guys
and gals...

i started to notice my lack of being able to interact with them..
and so .. i started spending less time in front of a computer and more time in front of real people
some of u might argue talking on msn is the same as talking on the phone ect
but its not..

u may hav 100s of people on your msn list..
how many have u met
kno about wat there relationship ship is at
kno wat there wearing

i think all im saying is that computers are great but.
theres nothing that can take the place of spending time with people.. real people ..

since that fateful moment i woke up
i hav a awesome gf
wicked job (sales rep) in a electronics shop
great friends

so guys.. get out there.. no matter what u look like .. who u are .. how much u kno..

go out and hang with people..

CJ out

o and PS
nerd talk about wow while with real people dont count.. u got to meet peps that arnt geeks.. just normal n00bs..

hehe

Grey410

I think that computers are just a thing. Xbox could be said to ruin your social life too.

I spend a lot of time on computers at work and at home. But I also have a lot of friends and an active social life.

Just try to find a balance in your life like other people have suggested.

leSHok

Many of my friends are on the comp most of the day sadly on myspace. I play counter strike alot but I would rather hang out with my girlfriend or friends then sit on the computer.

jp198780

my social life is great...

i love computers, but i do go 2 school, and not sit home all day everyday and play computer games all day, my friends brother does that, he's a nerd..but he's cool...

i wanna take the geek test...

g4m3rof1337

its are choice ...
i dont really see the computer having a force to keep us glued.
nicotine, addicting. computers dont have any drug.

we... i like it cause i can. cause i have that option.
iam addicted to the computer.

Ku-sama

banned
I could stop doing computer crap in an instant and pick up card stuff, drop that and pick up carpentry, drop that and go into the field of a engineer...

I picked computers because of the fact that I picked them up easier then I picked up cars, and I choose to stick with what I am best at.

I have a full social life, or had, I don't know many people around my area, but I have made two friends, one that I helped out when he was getting ready to get his ass beat and the other at radioshack when I bought my new XMOD, I'm growing :p

alexandergre

me too, ive lost lot of friends, now i have just few.im always on the net and reading and reading, tutorials, newspaper, forums, etc.
im single and i never go out, i dont think that i need a girlfriend. my back got problem(curve), ive got glasses last week. my computer teacher told me that i have to stop. i try but i cant.
now i feel that im not like other boys at my age, it is hard for me to find new friends.

hello mates.
remember that post,
well alexandergre is not the same alexandergre, ive been changed.
i dont work lot with computer and ive got friend and im also meeting girls. im going to gym and im also playing hockey. i meet people and i am more with people. i dont spend hole the day on my desk with computer,
thank you every one. from the bottom of my heart.
and ive also i have understood that computers do not brake our social life.
it is you who choose it.
good luck every one.
smile! :)

sup2jzgte

I would agree to a point. In my case it does not effect my social life in the least bit. Yes, I'm on the PC alot, but that is also because I make money on it and at work I have no choice. When I leave work I pretty much leave the computer alone except. The only times I go on is to check my stocks, mail, sales and thats about it. When I'm not at work/on the PC I'm spending time with my friends, fiancee, at the gym, going to the batting cages and just living my life to the fullest.

Now on the other side of the spectrum the computer has pretty much taken over/ruined my nephews life at the moment. Ever since he got WOW in about 3 months ago that is the only thing he does. Before he started playing WOW he would go out with his friends, go to the batting cages with me and just be normal. Now we are lucky to get him to come out and eat dinner at the table , it has come to the point where his mother is ready to take the damn PC out of his room because of the time he spends on it.

The other night my sister (his mother) asked me if I could monitor what he is doing on there, so I installed a keylogger and what I found was more than disturbing.

So I can see both sides, but I think it depends on the person. Some people get addicted to things easier than others

nffc10

hello mates.
remember that post,
well alexandergre is not the same alexandergre, ive been changed.
i dont work lot with computer and ive got friend and im also meeting girls. im going to gym and im also playing hockey. i meet people and i am more with people. i dont spend hole the day on my desk with computer,
thank you every one. from the bottom of my heart.
and ive also i have understood that computers do not brake our social life.
it is you who choose it.
good luck every one.
smile! :)

Thats good to hear m8.

Have you ever played a game on your computer one night and got so addicted to it that you woke up early the next day to play on it, then tried to get home from school as fast as you can to play on it? Well that used to be me with Championship Manager, that game was so addictive and i was hooked for weeks. Then i got sacked and i have never had the same enthusiasm about a game ever. Although i stop in a few nights of the week i do go out, play a lot of cricket, a bit of football and i'm always down at my mates eventhough he lives 2 and a half miles away now we've moved house!

Geoff

VIP Member
Sure computers and electronics keep us home more often, but it's a choice. You can choose to not own a computer or have internet if you want.

nffc10

[-0MEGA-];545915 said:
Sure computers and electronics keep us home more often, but it's a choice. You can choose to not own a computer or have internet if you want.

Who in the right mind would do that? :eek:
Even my grandma has a computer now!:D

heyman421

banned
Most people my age (i'm 22) who are also in college go out and drink most of the time, while i myself have a full time job, that i need to get up at 6AM every week day to get to, so my social opportunities are pretty few and far between to begin with.

Truth be known, i'm not a huge drinker to begin with, i pretty much overdid it in high school, and got my first dui while still in high school, and pretty much got it out of my system.

Now i'm more just laid back, favor hanging out with 2 or 3 people better than partying, and just like relaxing, cruising the web, occasionally eating some acid, typical nerd stuff :)

Anyways, i don't feel that computers have wrecked my social life, but i feel like they actually help me relax, and give me something to do, since my lifestyle prohibits me from doing most of the 'typical' college activities on a regular basis.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think people are totally missing the point here. Drugs are not addictive, computers are not addictive, it is because of addictive personality traits people develope these addictions. I know this first had because I have been around, and done things a lot of you have not. I am not addicted to anything to an obcessive point. People who obcess about things, substances, objects, etc have addictive personality traits.

Sure it is very easy to just blame a drug or a computer or a person but really the problem lies with in yourself and not with what you are addicted to.

Bruce Lee was very obcessed with martial arts and fitness to the point of where it pretty much killed him. It is not healthy to be obcessive. People who blame things like drugs, comptuers, video games, etc are ignorant. Information about addicitons is also misleading people always want to blame something else and not take responsibility themselves. Of course results always vary because no one has the same exact personality and somethings are more self destructive than others.

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's obvious that I spend more time on my PC.
But I can be a social person when I need to, when my friends call me to hang out or something I go we have fun, it's ok.
Yes they all know I'm the computer guy and stuff, but that doesn't mean I can't talk and be social. I also have a great relation with my family and relatives.
Computers just make me spend more time on them and less time with people but that doesn't mean that I can't socialize.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about the rest of you, but work breaks my social life way more than a computer ever could. Try working 3-11pm or 11pm-7am and see how often you see your friends :p
Drugs are not addictive, computers are not addictive
I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I want...but not right now :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
oh ya you are a noc analyst huh? thats why i always turn down those jobs, thougha noc analyst lvl 1 makes lots of money.

Kornowski

VIP Member
You have times when you want to be on the computer, it does no harm to do that every now and again... You can do it with your friends, both lol, LAN party! :D

Anyway... Summer is the best, long days out biking... get back, grab something to eat and drink with friends, watch a film or something and then come back and check your Email, check CF and do the same the next day, combine them both, it isn't hard... :)