Comuter do not boot

orsolli

I've just bought a MSI P965 Neo motherboard, i bought it as a demo, it was cheap and it shouldent be anything wrong with it, but when i was starting my comuter with new notherboard, new cpu(used), new VGA card and new ram, this happend:
fan started, everything was powerd, even the HDD and cd/dvd rom, but nothing came up on the screen. the reson i know its the Computer that do not boot is that not even the keybord do not works, the CapsLk LED do not light, the mouse is on.

Possible reasons:
- The main power cable to the mainboard missing the white cable that is the Reserviert cable, and i do not know if thats important-

- on the brand new VGA card ther is a golden flake that is half, like its cut of, i do not know if its supose to be like that.

have anyone an explination for why my computer do not start?
I do not know of any other possibilities(excuse my language, I'm from Norway. correct me if i write wrong. Thanks)
I'll post pics!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
How many pins are seen on the main power connector for the power supply you are using there? Your description suggests a 20pin power connector from an old system.
All new boards require the 20pin plus detachable 4pin plug for the 24pin connector seen on the board itself.

You also need to see the 4wire 12v cpu feed plugged in near the cpu socket itself if you forgot to do that. That will prevent the system from starting up normally if left unplugged.

The PCI-Express type video card typically sees a recess cut that acts like a divider when inserting down into the slot on the board. That helps to lock it in one way.

orsolli

How many pins are seen on the main power connector for the power supply you are using there? Your description suggests a 20pin power connector from an old system.
All new boards require the 20pin plus detachable 4pin plug for the 24pin connector seen on the board itself.

You also need to see the 4wire 12v cpu feed plugged in near the cpu socket itself if you forgot to do that. That will prevent the system from starting up normally if left unplugged.

The PCI-Express type video card typically sees a recess cut that acts like a divider when inserting down into the slot on the board. That helps to lock it in one way.

I have a 24 pin connecter on the motherboard and I have pluged in alle power cables, inklude the 4-pin to the cpu.

what i ment with the VGA card has a half pin, I ment that one of all this small little gold-pins are broken in half. i will post pics when i find my camera battery charge.

orsolli

I got the pictures of the PCI-Express card. its a foggy picture but you may be abel to se its a little light dott.
2hrnvvp.jpg

2u6fv61.jpg

PC eye

banned
If there was no physical damage to the contacts on the card often the space is omitted on one model while actually seeing an extra contact needed for something on a different one. But with the photos especially the second are a little too blurred to see precisely what you mean.

Should you have any problems with the card simply return it for an exchange while you can. One look at a replacement will show right off if that is something to worry about.

orsolli

I guess its nothing wrong with the PCI-Express video card, i vissited the page were I bought it and the picture show the same little spot of missing gold flake. so i supose its nothing wrong.
Here is the picure that was on the page that i bought it(ebay).its not the same card that i bought.
1zfsrgw.jpg

orsolli

If its not the PCI-Express video card or the power suply, what could it be then?
could it be the BIOS is not installed?

orsolli

I have lokated a new possible error. in the manual of the motherboard, I read that the power suply chould be over 18A on +12V, but my power syply is 15A on +12V. is that very important? Do I have to by a new power suply?

PsychoRobot

what kind of ram did you get.and please list the cpu you got.
i once ordered the wrong ram an my pc did some thing like that

orsolli

MSI P965 Neo (Intel P965) - bought on a computer store as a demo
nVIDIA GeForce 7100GS - bought on ebay.com as new
2 X 2GB PC4200 DDR2 533 - bought on ebay.com as new
Intel Celeron D331 2.66GHZ/256/533 bought on ebay.com as used
400 Watt ATX Power Supply Pentium IV / AMD - bought on ebay.com but got anothr one in tha mail:eek:

The power supply I was buying had Output: +3.3V@28A +5V@30A [email protected] +12V@25A [email protected] +5VSB@2A
The power supply I got in the mail had Output: +3.3V@24A +5V@28A [email protected] +12V@15A [email protected] [email protected].
The motherboard requirers that the +12V should be at 18A or more. but this it 15A.

PsychoRobot

And if the cpu fan is not hooked up it won't boot either
but if you think it is the power supply then try a different.(if they didn't send you what you paid for send it back)

Last edited:

PC eye

banned

And tha's precisely the problem being seen with the 4gb(2x2gb) of DDR2 533 memory for the MSI model board orsolli is running. The specifications show 4 dimm slots for a 4gb max with 533/667/800 1gb dimms.

"Main Memory •Supports 4 unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM •Supports up to 4GB 533/667memory size (with DDR2 800, memory only up to 4GB)•Support Dual Channel DDR2 533/677/800MHz and up Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details. "
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P965_Neo-F&class=mb

orsolli

Ram

My motherbord supports:
Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM
Supports 800/677/533 dual channel DDR2 memory architecture

My ram is:
Two 2048MB (2GB) DDR2
PC4200 533Mhz DDR Memory
Chip Configuration: 256X64
Unbuffered, Non Ecc, Non Registered
High Speed
240 Gold-Plated Pins, SPD Support

Is this right? does it fit?

StrangleHold

Staff member
It supports up to 8GB running DDR2 533, thats four 2gb sticks. So yes it should support two DDR2 533 2gb sticks. But saying that, there is always some compatibility issues between some memory and some motherboards. There are some Asus boards that flat out dont like OCZ memory. The last couple of years I've just used G Skill memory, it just seems more compatible with different board and chipsets.

PC eye

banned
You got it wrong again PC eye with your link. It supports up to 8GB unless your running DDR2 800 then it supports 2gb.

From your link.
Support Dual channel DDR2 533/667/800 memory interface up to 8GB (with DDR2 800, memory only up to 2GB)

Plus that link is the P965 Neo-F. He said he has the P965 Neo.
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=265#menu

I think you either need to get a new pair of glasses or simply your head examined! :rolleyes: "Supports up to 4GB 533/667memory size (with DDR2 800, memory only up to 4GB)•" That shows "4gb" not 8gb!

The boards sees 4 dimms slots supporting 1gb dimms max! The newer boards since have seen the increase to allow 2gb dimms. The specifications clearly show that only 2gb dimms simply won't work.

orsolli

when I told the Power supply seller about the wrong power supply I got, he said:

hi:
this power supply is 100% compatible with your system. the plug and
color layout maybe differently but it will work the same way as the
connection are all industry standardized. we are selling repalcement power
supply as stated in the auction. please install the power supply and if
there is any problem please let us know.
extra connectors are for upgrade usage, if you do not need it you can leave it out,
thank you

I will contact the motherboard seller for help.

PC eye

banned
The oroblem you are having there is trying to run 2gb sized dimms on a board that will only run upto 1gb in size. You reach the 4gb max by 4 x 1gb with that model board seeing 4 dimm slots. On a normal post you iwll hear a single short beep when first powering the system up. I'm surprized you are not hearing a series of them for bad ram since the dimms are a mismatch.

The supply itself seems to be doing it's job since the fans are starting as they normally would while the oversized dimms are preventing the startup from proceeding. If you still doubt that take those out and install a single smaller dimm of the same speed and type.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I think you either need to get a new pair of glasses or simply your head examined! :rolleyes:

From the very link you gave.

Support Dual channel DDR2 533/667/800 memory interface up to 8GB (with DDR2 800, memory only up to 2GB)

A review of the board.

Standard chipset support covers up to 8GB of memory running DDR 2 533MHz or 667MHz speeds

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/20/review_msi_p965_neo-f/

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2994&Itemid=40

Last edited: