Configure IPX

joseph5458

Hi everybody,i need some help, i hope you can help me.
I have two computers networked at home, and i am trying to play some network games on them, but they does not work. I installed the IPX protocol on both computers but i don't know how to configure them. I don't know what Internal Network Number, Frame Type, or Network Number is, and i don't know what numbers go there. I hope you can help me. Thanks!!!! :) :D

P.D. I am a newbie on this networking staff!!!! :)

S_Doherty

Basically, IPX (which stands for Internetwork Packet Exchange) provides logical addressing and internetworking services, VERY similar to IP in TCP/IP...which means that it does not have to agree on standards before it transmits data over the wire. The Internal Network Number involves your MAC address (physical address of your NIC/Wireless card) which serves as your node address. The Network Address (or Number as you stated above) must be an 8 bit hexadecimal address (0-9 A-F) this now becomes the first half of your IPX address.

Last edited:

joseph5458

Hi, thanks for the answer. I have a couple more questions:

Where do i find the MAC Address?
Can i use any number as my network address? (00000001 for the first computer, and 00000002 for the second compouter)
Is Ethernet 802.2 the correct Frame type?

I am using Windows XP Pro and SP1. Thanks.

S_Doherty

Hi, you can find the MAC address if you click Start> Run> cmd (or command) and type IPCONFIG/ALL look for where it says "Physical Address" this is where you will see a 12 character notation...your MAC address...
802.2 is the LLC (logical link control) this provides flow and error control over frames.
As for the network number I feel silly because I cannot recall what the specs are to use this....try entering the numbers that you have suggested....only avoid using 00000000 & FFFFFFFF as these are your network address and broadcast address respectively.
I'll be interested in how you made out...cheers :)

joseph5458

Ok, thanks again, i have some more questions:

The MAC Address is 12 characters and i can only use 8 characters as my network number. How do i know which numbers to use?

Thanks for your help! :)

S_Doherty

your internal network number is where you insert the 12 characters for the MAC address let's say 00-00-8a-5g-11-a9, the frame type is 802.2, and your network number will lets say be.....00000001

joseph5458

The 12 MAC Address characters won't fit on the Internal Network Number. I can only fit 8 of them. How do i know which numbers to use.
Thanks.

S_Doherty

what are the first four characters of your MAC address?

*make sure to go into the properties of your connection and you will see a configure button right beside the type of media you are connecting too...hit that and make sure to enter a network value in there as well*

Last edited:

S_Doherty

You have to use the same internal network numbers on both machines in order for them to be able to communicate. Make sure also that you have bound this protocol to both computers.Here are some possible ways of discovering the correct network number to use for a given frame type:

- From a command prompt on a computer running windows NT Workstation or Server, run the IPXROUTE CONFIG command.

- At a NetWare server that you want to communicate with, run the CONFIG command or inspect the Autoexec.ncf file.

joseph5458

MAC Address on second computer: 00-0D-61-37-01-D3

If my internal number is the MAC Address, and every computer has a different MAC address, how come both computers need to have the same number as internal number?

Where do I find the numbers for my network value?

I don't know if i am dumb or something but i don't understand where am i supposed to get the numbers for my Internal Network Number.
Is the Internal Network Number supposed to be the same on both computers?

I am getting confused, i am sorry!!! :(

joseph5458

I have some network games that i want to play but they does not work. Maybe you can give me a MSN or Yahoo address so we can talk trough msn or yahoo messanger. I will understand if you don't want to do it that way. I think that that's the only way yo can help me better. Thanks!!!!!