Confused about memory

Bob32014

If my Patriot Viper memory card says 2 X 4 GB Kit, does that mean there is 8 GB on each of my two cards (16GB) ?

Or a total of 8 GB on the two cards?

I'm asking because I have the above two cards plugged into my MB and System is registering only 8 GB of memory.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob32014

I think I answered my own question: I removed one of the cards and now it says: 4GB installed. So all this time I thought I had 16 GB when I only had 8. Hmm.....

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it means you only have 8 gb when both are plugged in. Hence why it says 2 x 4gb(2 sticks of 4gb each) To get 16gb you would need 2 x 8gb

Bob32014

OK, thanks. I guess I'll buy some more since my memory says it running at 72% when I have a few programs running.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I would as well. If its anywhere close to 80 percent then you need more ram. Just make sure you motherboard supports the higher capacity sticks. What system do you have?

Bob32014

Yeah I would as well. If its anywhere close to 80 percent then you need more ram. Just make sure you motherboard supports the higher capacity sticks. What system do you have?
It's cobbled together from a Fry's sale ad about 5 years ago. The CPU is Intel i7 4th gen. 2 Patriot Viper memory cards. I just bought another 8 GB with the same model # as the cards that are In there now. probably paid way to much on Amazon.

Laquer Head

Unless I misread, sounds like you had 2 memory sticks and bought a 3rd.. ideally you always run ram in pairs (dual channel) I'd recommend you go with 4 sticks, or keep it at 2.. If I misread ignore what I said. :)

Bob32014

Thanks, I checked, it's two sticks. I searched for the exact number before I bought it:
PV38G186C9K
I think the only dif. is the color.
I also bought a new fan/cooler since the CPU was running at 88C. Actually the BIOS wouldn't even let it start at that temp.
I'm thinking the thermal grease dried out and there wasn't a cooler on there before, just a fan.
The saga continues......

Bob32014

I didn't think so but when I removed the fan, there was a small finned heatsink under the fan. Now there is a BIG cooler with copper tubing and lots of fins. $19.99 at Fry's. It's running at 36 C so that should make the CPU feel good. The only pain was installing the backplate under the MB. Had to remove all the connectors to lift it. Finally got all the wires back in place. Whew!