Confused about volume problem, Could it be Win10 problem?

johnnyb58

OK so my volume control has completely gone out of whack on my 64bit HP Desktop. I have it cranked up to max and I can barely hear it while watching the news, but It seems like it’s really too loud when grandson is playing games.

I thought maybe my speakers were going out so I replaced them and I have the same problem.

I believe if it were a sound card problem, it would not change. I’ve been having trouble with the Windows Start and task bar so I’m now thinking it’s actually a windows problem.

Any thoughts on this?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What browser do you use? Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar down by clock and click on open volume mixer and check all your volume levels especially the browser that you use. Most likely its set too low.

johnnyb58

What browser do you use? Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar down by clock and click on open volume mixer and check all your volume levels especially the browser that you use. Most likely its set too low.
I'm using both Firefox and Goggle chrome depending on what I'm doing and have the same problem on both. Photobucket will not operate properly in Firefox and freezes up the whole computer. Firefox also has a problem with the news sites especially CBS so I use Chrome for watching the news.

My volume mixer is set at max for everything except System Sounds which is set to low.

johnnyb58

OK something crazy just happened. Earlier when I opened the volume mixer it showed 4 columns: Speakers, Systems sounds, Firefox and Adobe Flash player. now it only shows: Speakers, Systems sounds and Firefox whether or not I'm using Firefox or Chrome.

Update: I believe it has something to do with Adobe Flash player because i just ran a YouTube video while the flash player was showing in the volume mixer and my speakers almost blew off the shelf.

johnnyb58

It will only show adobe flash when its active within the browser.
Oh OK, well I guess that means that I only have normal sound when adobe flash is working. So I guess my grandsons game uses adobe flash and YouTube doesn't. I'll have to explore this more by keeping the volume mixer open while I'm watching the news and YouTube to see if adobe flash is working or not.

Ok I narrowed the problem down to Google Chrome. My grandson uses Firefox to play his games and I use Chrome to watch videos. Adobe flash does not appear when I'm in Chrome and I'm not sure why unless Chrome has its own method of sound control. I'm going to go through the Chrome settings to see if there is anything on volume control.

Problem Solved- Yes! :D

I can’t believe it but Google Chrome has its own volume control which was set at the lowest setting. :rolleyes:

I guess I’ll have to take these new speakers back. Well at least it wasn’t the sound card or worst yet the OS. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Hence why I said this. All browsers will have their own volume setting and yes, chrome has its own built in flash player so you won't see it in the volume mixer.