Confused about which 8800 GTS 640Mb Brand

chshwong

There are XFX, BGF, ASUS, Levis and a bunch of others.

Are they all reliable? Which one is the best and which is the worst?? And how different are they really?
I will have an ASUS board, would an ASUS video card match better?

chupacabra

I personally like XFX and Asus, BGF is okay but never heard of levis, if you want to buy one get a model isn't overclocked since they charge for overclocking it, thing you can do by yourself

wafflez

They're pretty much ALL the same (unless overclocked by them, etc) as long as they have lifetime warranties. In fact, I barely understand the point of all these companies simply reselling the same hardware that nvidia makes...well as to an answer to your question, I'm getting the PNY 8800gts 640mb from Dell for $350

Geoff

VIP Member
They're pretty much ALL the same (unless overclocked by them, etc) as long as they have lifetime warranties. In fact, I barely understand the point of all these companies simply reselling the same hardware that nvidia makes...well as to an answer to your question, I'm getting the PNY 8800gts 640mb from Dell for $350
They all sell them because nVidia doesnt sell them with their name.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Nvidia makes the chip itself and sells an OEM contract to manufactures. The manufactures then make (or buy) everything else, PCB, transistors, memory and sell the card as their own. Nvidia takes some of the manufactures profit and continues to sell chips to other OEM manufactures. In the end Nvidia is sitting on top of a huge mound of royalty, Which is more profitable than doing all the work themselves.

This concept (not really the same, i guess) is something Intel is currently monopolizing. They suggest that they own a patent of an entire platform.. Anything that is discovered, invented or proposed for that platform can be, for lack of a better word, owned by Intel. Intel is saying "you thought of it, But you still have to give me money for it's use". Damn Intel.

Last edited:

wafflez

the PNY is cheaper than all the evgas =3

oh and omega, you have 6 posts left to 20,000. good job >_>

wafflez

PNY have bad customer support and is a pain in the ass to get a RMA that works from them

I'm buying it from dell.com, they have possibly the best and fastest returns system ever. secondly, I couldn't care less as long as the card works as well as the other 8800s, it got really good reviews on newegg.

Geoff

VIP Member
oh and omega, you have 6 posts left to 20,000. good job >_>
lol, thanks, but it's not about post count ;)

I'm buying it from dell.com, they have possibly the best and fastest returns system ever. secondly, I couldn't care less as long as the card works as well as the other 8800s, it got really good reviews on newegg.
I've had many video cards, some well known brands and some not so well known brands, all have worked great. I usually go with Sapphire because they are usually the cheapest and good quality.

ajaysolutions

I think it's all personal opinion, to me, i always go for non-branded ones like my 8800gtx is just the stock nvidia reference board - it works great, does the job like it should, and I saved over 100 pounds compared to the branded ones.... they over clock a bit put fancy art work on it, maybe change the cooler around, and give you a couple games, big deal, i want a graphics card, not a load of crap with it :p

Geoff

VIP Member
I think it's all personal opinion, to me, i always go for non-branded ones like my 8800gtx is just the stock nvidia reference board - it works great, does the job like it should, and I saved over 100 pounds compared to the branded ones.... they over clock a bit put fancy art work on it, maybe change the cooler around, and give you a couple games, big deal, i want a graphics card, not a load of crap with it :p
Where in the world did you get one from nVidia? Because they dont market their cards retail, you need to buy it through one of their third-party sellers.

Woot! My 20,000th post! :D