Confused...

NathanielZhu

So, say 10 youtubers do really good sounding professional reviews of laptops or even 10 biochemistry channels/ 10 electronics channels/farming tutorials. Say I've browsed through some of each of the 10 channels whatever topic it may be on and I made sure that yes, the quality of their videos are all good.

My problem is, in every case encountered, only 1 or 2 of these guys get really popular, and yet the quality of the video itself is basically the same.

I'm confused on how these 1 or 2 can get so ahead of the rest of them. What external factors influence their popularity?

Darren

Staff member

He's not talking about a viral video. That's a completely different animal.

It's got more to do with how they present their reviews, what they are reviewing, and how they speak. The content itself decides if something is going to be watched and enjoyed more so than the quality. Wider target audience also draws more viewers.

Some guy reviewing headphones is gonna get a lot more views than somebody doing reviews on lab equipment. The first will have millions of people wanting to know what headphones to buy but not a lot of people are in the market for lab equipment.

The way you speak and how you sound on camera has a lot to do with that. Gameplay commentaries especially need this. Somebody who is too high or nasally is going to be considered annoying voice wise and won't be viewed as much.

Presentation and content are more important than the actual technical quality of a video.

tech explorer

He's not talking about a viral video. That's a completely different animal.

It's got more to do with how they present their reviews, what they are reviewing, and how they speak. The content itself decides if something is going to be watched and enjoyed more so than the quality. Wider target audience also draws more viewers.

Some guy reviewing headphones is gonna get a lot more views than somebody doing reviews on lab equipment. The first will have millions of people wanting to know what headphones to buy but not a lot of people are in the market for lab equipment. (edit: I just read your post a little more carefully and realize you're talking about people that review the same stuff. What I said still is partially true but the other stuff mentioned is more important in that setting.)

The way you speak and how you sound on camera has a lot to do with that. Gameplay commentaries especially need this. Somebody who is too high or nasally is going to be considered annoying voice wise and won't be viewed as much.

Presentation and content are more important than the actual technical quality of a video.

There are underlying factors that are common to what he's talking about and what makes videos go viral.
Those websites are worth a review.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Hey by the way...what the hell is happening with YOUTUBE?!
Every single video I watch works good,but COMMENTS are always unavailable...:confused:

Darren

Staff member
I get comments. Have you tried reinstalling Youtube?

And he's back.

2041529.jpg

tech explorer

Let me modify. You can uninstall updates and reinstall them. If that doesn't work, you can shoot Youtube an email and wait for a reply and see if they have a fix (here I caution, technical may not have a fix and you may have to experiment to find a fix like I did with my phone).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
LOL I don't know what "updates" you're referring to, but from a web browser on a computer you cannot uninstall any updates that Google makes to YouTube :rolleyes:

tech explorer

LOL I don't know what "updates" you're referring to, but from a web browser on a computer you cannot uninstall any updates that Google makes to YouTube :rolleyes:

When I go to applications in my cell phone, I'm given the option of uninstalling Youtube updates from my phone. If the user also has that option, he can try reinstalling it to see if that works or maybe refresh his computer (the latter technique resolved my problem with updating Adobe reader). Otherwise he'd have to await a Youtube response by email.

Darren

Staff member
Refresh his computer? And he's talking about a computer, not a phone app so you can't reinstall it at all.