connect laptop to TV

Shinnen

Hi all,
My computer has a VGA port,, and the TV has both HDMI and VGA ports. I also have a VGA cable (males at both ends) and an HDMI to VGA (QGeeM, no sound port) adapter. The problem is that I don't get any picture, with either connection regime (VGA to VGA or VGA to HDMI).
Any thoughts are appreciated.
...... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you change the input on the tv to vga/pc? Also, I've seen a tv display not get any signal until it enters the windows environment.

Shinnen

Hi john/Okedokey,
I got it to work on the upstairs TV, which is newer then the one I was trying it on. I can duel boot into Vista or Windows 10. It would not work on Vista. So, I'm good to go.
Thanks for your help.
...... john
P.S. I have no idea what graphics card the laptop has, but it's very old.

Shinnen

Hi beers,
I guess they don't like each other; so they're kick boxing ..... boot dueling. Wow ...... so fussy;).
In any event ..... Windows 10 won.
..... john

Shinnen

Wow! You guys are good! The TV that previously didn't show Windows 10, now does so.
The only problem is that it doesn't show anything I'm doing, just the Windows 10 'light through the widow screen', and 4 icons on the bottom left taskbar. Any ideas about what I might do to correct that? This was with the AVG to AVG connections. I haven't tried the AVG to HDMI (on TV) connections yet. (On the TV upstairs I can see what I'm doing on the computer.)
.... john

beers

Staff member
You can change the behavior with windows key + P. There's mirror or extend options, additionally in display settings you can rearrange them or do other options like resolution/refresh.