"Connected to access point, but cannot connect to internet" - HELP

ztrain727

Hi everyone,

I was on the internet at 2 in the morning last night (or earlier today one might say).

This morning, I booted up my pc and it could not connect to the internet. I did the whole modem reset and router reset thing but still couldn't connect.

I then tried another computer on the same network and the internet is flawless.

I am using a linksys WUSB54Gv2 with a lynksys WRT54G router and a Motorola SB5100 modem. There are two other systems on the network, one PC and one MAC.

Anyway, when I open the linksys control panel it says:
"Connected to access point, but cannot connect to internet"

But I don't believe there is a problem with the router or the internet service because it works on this system.

Possible problems:

I recently installed Norton Anit-virus and then today uninstalled it with Youruninstaller 2008, which removes registry entries.
I also ran free registry cleaner (after the internet stopped working).
There was an electrical storm.

Attempted fixes:

I tried installing a different wireless PCI card, but the software wouldn't run.
I tried using WINSOCKFIX, but without luck.
I tried repairing the connection and turning off the network monitor and then re-enabling them after a reboot.
I tried system restore to my configuration yesterday when the internet worked.
I uninstalled and reinstalled my WUSB54Gv2 software and driver.
I matched my network settings to the other working PC's on my network.
I did a repair install of Windows XP Home.
I'm ran a virus scan, but it says there are no viruses (AVG 7.5 free).

I don't know what else to try. The problem is, there is no real error or anything so I don't know where to start.

Please help me out,
Thanks

Last edited:

ztrain727

UPDATE:

I moved my computer and connected it directly to the modem, bypassing the router.

The modem would not assign my PC a network address and all repairs failed.

I then ran the modem to the router and ran an ethernet cable from the router hub to my PC. Same deal, I still don't get internet.

Stange thing is, the two wireless systems are still connected!

This is pretty important so I would really, really appreciate some help...
Thanks a lot

PCC_Australia

Go to Your Network Connections, right click on the Connection you are wanting to run and select Properties and check all your TCP/IP settings against those computers that do work. Also your modem/router should have an admin back-end where you can configure wireless settings etc...check to see if you have DHCP enabled and let me know..

ztrain727

Thanks a lot for helping out!

I did as you said. DHCP is enabled for both machines. As for the TCP/IP boxes, I assume you mean the list under General Connection Properties (such as File and Printer Sharing, Client for Microsoft Netwoks, etc.). My PC is a lot newer than the other, so it has more options, but all the boxes are checked for both machines (for both the wireless and LAN connections of both machines).

As for having an "admin back-end", I am clueless. I believe that someone else manages our network. If I did have access to such a thing, where would it be?

By now I'm certain there is something wrong with my PC and not the internet service. I can connect to the internet when I run a cable from the modem to the router and another cable from the router hub to the computer on both the other computers but not mine. I cannot run any of the computers directly from the modem or it cannot assign an address.

I was considering running a repair install of windows XP. Would that accomplish anything? I'm worried something is missing or corrupted somewhere...

Last edited:

PCC_Australia

Thanks a lot for helping out!

I did as you said. DHCP is enabled for both machines. As for the TCP/IP boxes, I assume you mean the list under General Connection Properties (such as File and Printer Sharing, Client for Microsoft Netwoks, etc.). My PC is a lot newer than the other, so it has more options, but all the boxes are checked for both machines (for both the wireless and LAN connections of both machines).

Yep, good work, thats exactly where i meant. Now if you have DHCP enabled, the dot or check box should be ticked with an exclamation claiming that the machine will "Automatically obtain an IP". Does this appear to be happening?

As for having an "admin back-end", I am clueless. I believe that someone else manages our network. If I did have access to such a thing, where would it be?

That all depends upon the model of the wireless access point, let me know the branding and i will see what i can dig up.

I was considering running a repair install of windows XP. Would that accomplish anything? I'm worried something is missing or corrupted somewhere...

At the moment, i wouldn't recommend doing this, as it could be a setting that has been applied to the device/s. Lets keep working through it and if all else fails try the repair install of XP, but don't jump to that just yet.

Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Does this network exist within an organisation? or is it a home network managed by your local IT crew

ztrain727

Yep, good work, thats exactly where i meant. Now if you have DHCP enabled, the dot or check box should be ticked with an exclamation claiming that the machine will "Automatically obtain an IP". Does this appear to be happening?
Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear. DHCP is enabled (i.e. it does say it will connect automatically).

That all depends upon the model of the wireless access point, let me know the branding and i will see what i can dig up.
What do you mean by "the branding"?

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and a Motorola SB5100.
At the moment, i wouldn't recommend doing this, as it could be a setting that has been applied to the device/s. Lets keep working through it and if all else fails try the repair install of XP, but don't jump to that just yet.
OK. Thanks for helping me!
P.S. Does this network exist within an organisation? or is it a home network managed by your local IT crew
It is a home network. I am not sure, but I believe it is managed by the tech person at my dad's office (it's a small business of 5 people, not some huge corporation).

I feel like I should mention again that less than twelve hours ago, the internet was working flawlessly, which means that the settings were working fine. All I did was turn off the computer, sleep, and turn it back on, and the internet stopped working.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help!

Last edited:

PCC_Australia

Found something that may apply, try installing the Adapter [WUSB54Gv2] on another computer [if you already havent done so]. There is a chance that the adapter may have gone bad.

ztrain727

Found something that may apply, try installing the Adapter [WUSB54Gv2] on another computer [if you already havent done so]. There is a chance that the adapter may have gone bad.

Yes, it could be bad. But that doesn't explain why an ethernet cable wouldn't work...
I'll test it anyway.
The repair installation wouldn't hurt, right? Maybe I'll run it in a little as I'm leaving for a while anyway...
Thanks again for the help

The WUSB54Gv2 unit works fine. I tested it on another machine. No problems.

Last edited:

ztrain727

Alright, I had trouble with MSN yesterday, but it's up and running today.
Thank you so much for the assistance.

I have one last question: Could this possibly be a hardware related issue? There was an electrical storm the night before I lost my internet, so I'm wondering if something might have fried. Then again, the lynksys unit uses a USB slot and not the LAN port (and my USB slots work).