Connecting 2 computers with 2 routers? Possible?

bradyfan123

My modem and the main router is downstairs on the first floor, I live on the third floor and I have another router upstairs for my computer. xbl, and so forth. Their both d-link wireless routers and my connection upstairs occasionally drops and idk why. Just curious if it's possible to connect the two with no problems. I basically put my router upstairs into bridge mode and changed the Gateway and the DNS to the ip of the router downstairs. Everything works, but connection always drops and it's annoying. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Aastii

VIP Member
if it is adsl, you should be able to set it up upstairs if you have a phone line.

If not, you can use the one upstairs as an access point. The one downstairs will be the only transmitter, but the upstairs one will pick up the signal and then rebroadcast it so it is the same as that being the online one for you...i think this may be the setup you have already though :confused:

You can always buy a rangemax router

Vipernitrox

he has just setup a wireless accespoint without the routing function. Which should be working fine. You connected through wireless or wired? And where does the connection drop? You can use the tracert command in the cmd window.

How to use tracert:
- Press start
- press run
- type cmd + enter
- type tracert www.google.nl

Now it will start to track the path to the servers of google. And it will show which routers it passes. Does it show any of your routers?

bradyfan123

Well I'm connected wired. Basically I plugged an ethernet cable into one of the slots in the downstairs router and hooked that to the router upstairs. Some people said do not use the WAN port on the upstairs router, but plug it into one of the other slots instead. But my connection still drops sadly. :( This is all wired. Wireless is no problem. Basically my xbox live and pc upstairs drops all the time. Connection downstairs is fine in the other two floors. I just don't understand why my room is the only connection that drops.

--Viper it shows my first main downstairs router, but not my second. Could this mean something?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
So you drop the connection even though you're connected by wire? Sounds almost like faulty equipment somewhere... Though for what you're doing, two routers is really unnecessary. Be sure all the features are disabled on the other router, specially DHCP. The primary router should do all the work while the other just acts as a hub/switch.

Oh...and is there any chance you could try swapping them? You know, to see if the previously-upstairs router continues to drop connections while downstairs?

bradyfan123

^^Yeah I didn't want to have two routers but I needed to in order to connect my PSN, and xbl network and my computer/laptop. Should I get rid of the router upstairs and buy something else?

And I haven't tried to swap them yet. This sucks though. I want to get the whole networking in my house all set you know. Pain in the butt.

bradyfan123

Got this from a guy off a linksys website

5. If you have two wireless routers: you cannot roam between both routers without loosing the connection. This is simply because if a wireless computers

So does that mean I should get rid of one router? and buy a, switch or a bridge perhaps? I don't know maybe one of you guys can suggest something better.