Connecting my desktop via Ethernet?

Its Sage

So I want to connect my computer to the Internet via Ethernet as opposed to wifi, but there's a problem. My computer is in my bedroom, and the router is in my living room. What would I have to do to get my computer to connect via Ethernet? Just route it through the ceiling?

Also, in my attic I have Internet cables. Theoretically, couldn't I buy a modem, route the cable into my bedroom to the modem, and use the modem to connect?

More or less, my router is in my living room, and my PC is in my bedroom (same floor). I want to connect my computer via ethernet. How would I go about doing this?

Last edited:

llevvi

So I want to connect my computer to the Internet via Ethernet as opposed to wifi, but there's a problem. My computer is in my bedroom, and the router is in my living room. What would I have to do to get my computer to connect via Ethernet? Just route it through the ceiling?

Also, in my attic I have Internet cables. Theoretically, couldn't I buy a modem, route the cable into my bedroom to the modem, and use the modem to connect?

Hopefully I'm making sense to you guys. All help is appreciated, thanks!

You just have to connect your internet cable in ethernet port of router then you connect this same cable in your computer's ethernet port.
(But, if you don't have a modem, it probably will not work, so just try)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You already have a modem connected before the router or you wouldn't get internet. You will have to run a cable from your computer to the router.

twaine7

I don't trust those. They will probably work in a pinch, but if you are able to run a line, that is the best way to go. It is more secure and will give you a more stable connection. Think of it this way... The more breakpoints between point a and point b, the more stuff that can break and the worse troubleshooting will be. With a cable, you have only physical connections which can be checked fairly easily if you have a problem. However... Those devices use power, circuitry, and various bits of dark magic to work. If any one of the little components inside fail, you are boned.

Plus any tech should experience running a line in the walls at least once. Just keep it clean looking, use proper wallplates and make sure you follow any local codes.

Most importantly have fun! And buy a tester.

There maybe more to say but I'm on my phone and typing this much has been quite the project :)

Good luck!

twaine7

I'm have a background in Home Automation and Networking, so I'm used to just running lines to where I need to go. However I forget that for most people this can be a pain in the but, especially if you've never run lines before. Sorry :-D

That being said:

I'm sure if you can find a reputable one (Newegg Reviews are Key) then it'll probably work out for you if you're unable to run a line. In the end it's definitely cheaper to run a line. But if you're willing to spend some money to save some time and aggrivation (Easy-Mode!), then go for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

This one seems to be the US equivilant to what you had linked to, only a few negative reviews (about the devices not working after a few months) and who knows what state their eletrical system in their house is like (bad grounding, etc). So