Connecting Router

booperq67

I am getting a Dell laptop that is wireless and have a Netgear router and have no idea how to hook it up and will be coming from a desktop computer. The router came with an Ethernet cable and installation disc but no instructions on how to hook it up. I use Verizon as my internet provider and have a Westell modem for it. I don't know how or where to hook the cables and do I use the installation disc in my desktop or the laptop that I am getting? Thanks.

LA1

when you turn on your pc, do you have to click on a "dialer" ( not to be confussed with a dial up connection,,,just a term) to connect to your DSL...OR do you have instant internet where you just click on IE or Firefox and you are on the internet?
in the case that you have instant internet, you can take tha cat5 cable from the westel that went to your computer and plug it into the wan port on the router. Then you plug a cat5 cablefrom your pc's into the lan ports. There probably is a manual on the install cd. I would recommend resetting the router before using. There should be a "reset" button somewhere on the router. Reseting will erase all settings in the router making it like new out of the box.
The setup disk should be able to guide you through what you need to do after you have done the above.
If you have a dialer you have to click on, on your desktop to get to your dsl, you will need to call verizon or whomever is your isp and have them either, store your credentials in the westel o r put the westel in bridge mode and store them in the router. you can also download a manual from the manufacturer of the router's web site, usualy something like support