Connecting two PC's via cable to a TV in another room

h3donyst

Hi, I'm trying to decide the best way to connect two of my computers in my office to the TV in the living room.
lvTV_PC.jpg

• TV Supports only HDMI.
  • I've measured and I would need about 6,3 m of cable (20.7 ft) for PC1, about half for PC2.
  • No need to have the power button close, they stay on most of the time.
  • PC1 will be used for gaming.
  • PC1 will be often used in office only sometimes in the living room (already has two monitors connected, DP slot)
  • PC2 will be used on TV
  • The computers will be sometimes used at the same time, PC1 in the office, PC2 in the living room.
  • PC1 has a USB type-C slot but I do not think it supports thunderbolt. MBO: Asus B450-F

So far these are the solutions I have considered:
  1. USB and HDMI for each (active maybe to avoid signal loss or with an extender of some sort). At the end of the USB there would be 2 USB hubs for peripherals, one for each of the computers.
  2. KVM Switch.
  3. Active USB cable but behind the TV a dock connected to the TV.

Could please someone recommend the best way to go about doing this, I'm leaning towards solution no. 1 but if somebody knows of a better one, more efficient I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance.

beers

Staff member
Depends what you're trying to do. HDMI should have cable lengths for that run and you can use active USB extenders if you need to have a USB presence in the living room.

There's also some HDMI extenders over Ethernet like Cat6 but they're usually >$100

Also there's no Thunderbolt support on AMD :(

h3donyst

Depends what you're trying to do. HDMI should have cable lengths for that run and you can use active USB extenders if you need to have a USB presence in the living room.
Yes, my first idea was to go about it the most obvious way, there are indeed HDMI cables that can support such distance and active USB cables.
There's also some HDMI extenders over Ethernet like Cat6 but they're usually >$100
I don't think it will be necessary
Also there's no Thunderbolt support on AMD :(
Shame, I like the concept.

beers

Staff member
Eh, I'd probably also do what you described. If you had some extra slack you could run them through the wall and use faceplates and stuff so it's out of the way.

h3donyst

Sounds like your mind is already made up breh.

Let us know how it goes.
Did it, works like a chrarm.
  • 2x HDMI cables
  • 2x USB extenders
  • 2x USB Hubs
I've run cables through the wall, USB hubs behind the TV, it's pretty sweet.
Thanks for easing my mind.