Connection dropping problem

Jacknife

I have Verizon DSL. Had it since June. No complaints at all up until about two weeks ago when the internet connection started dropping out frequently, 10-20 times a day. There have been no new internet devices being used now that weren't being used all summer long when it worked fine.

The connection never slows down before going out, it will just go from working smoothly to not working at all in the blink of an eye. If I turn off the Verizon modem/router, then turn it back on, it is back running normal/fast immediately afterwards.

The odd thing is that neither the DSL or internet light go out when these drops occur. All the lights still appear completely normal when the connection is out.

I switched the phone wire, fiddled around the the phone line input, neither made any difference.

Anyone have an explanation and/or solution before I attempt to deal with Verizon customer Support which I have read is a nightmare.

thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a modem and router all in one unit? If its 2 separate units then remove the router and connect straight to the modem and see if it still happens. Contact Verizon and have them do a line and modem test. They will be able to see how often it drops out.