Connection drops out when stressed

bubbagumper6

I have been plagued by this problem for ages and am sick of it. Anytime I try to download a large file from a fast server my connection is fine for awhile (dling at ~650Kb/s) but eventually my connection will just drop out. Downloads from file hosting websites (like rapidshare) ALWAYS do it. The connection just says "Interrupted." There's a bunch of files I want to snag from Megaupload but I literally can't download any of them because of this...

Now I'm trying to download the latest OS for my ipad which is ~600mb and 2/3 of the way through it just stopped and said my connection timed out...WTF

EDIT: Also just tried it via a wired connection and it does the same thing (earlier tests were all wireless)

Some tech info:
Connection: AT&T 6mb/s DSL
Router: Linksys WRT54GL
Router Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) mini
Laptop: Asus N73SV running Win 7 x64

Last edited:

bubbagumper6

Just tried to update my ipad via my desktop computer which is connected via ethernet cable and I still got the timeout error so it's obviously a problem somewhere upstream (router, modem, or my ISP)

EDIT: Ok I took the cable running from my modem to my router and plugged it directly into my laptop (bypassing the router) and the download went fine. So it's my router obviously, I think I'll take this to the DD-WRT board.

Last edited:

wellhellothere

The router isn't necessarily beyond repair. Try rebooting it (hold the reset button for atleast 30 seconds), if its outside of warranty, try updating the firmware.

bubbagumper6

The router isn't necessarily beyond repair. Try rebooting it (hold the reset button for atleast 30 seconds), if its outside of warranty, try updating the firmware.

I never said I was ditching the router. It has DDWRT on it right now which is a custom firmware. That's why I said I was going to take this to the DDWRT board, because they will know more about how to optimize the settings to prevent the disconnects :)