!Connection problem

Powman

I've had two computers set up in my place for a while, both operating on a wireless ADSL network. Both computers run windows 2000. Just today, everytime someone tries to use the other computer, they get no connection and I get an alert on the other computer saying:
The system has detected an IP adress conflict with another system on the network. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result. More details are available in the system event log.

I've consulted the log and found no resolution to the problem so any help would be much appreaciated.

Trizoy

VIP Member
What are the ip addresses of both machines? Local i mean (192.168...) start, run type cmd, and then ipconfig. If they are the same, did you assign them? If you did, unassign them.

Powman

Okay, I've been unable to determine if our adresses are alligned, every time we try to open up does we see it for a fraction of a second and then it disapears, I don't know what the hell that's about.
Regarding the second reply: My father who help set up the network claims: "He's pretty sure" we're using static IP. I'll keep trying to open up cmd on the other one.

Oh wait, I just tried opening up cmd on the other computer and it said:
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:00cf IP:0656 OP:fe B6 06 da 02 Choose 'Close' to termintate the program

There's also the option of ignoring it but when I click that a similar box pops up with near identical information. I still don't know what I'm dealing with, I've had a lot of problems on this system with ADware and the like, but never on the other one where I can't load CMD.

MONKEY BOY

to check ip addres and change

you need to be on a administrator account

go to start
control panel
network conections
look for the wireless conection
right click on it
go the properties
then go to were it says "internet protocol" tcp/ip
click properties
and show a print screen of wat u get

**print screen**
press the 'prt scr' button when u have tcp/ip properties open,usualy next to scroll lock
then go to paint and press control v or paste
save it as jpg
go to this site http://theharddrive.org/upload
upload the image
and paste the thumbnail for forums code in a new reply

Motoxrdude

Okay, I've been unable to determine if our adresses are alligned, every time we try to open up does we see it for a fraction of a second and then it disapears, I don't know what the hell that's about.
Regarding the second reply: My father who help set up the network claims: "He's pretty sure" we're using static IP. I'll keep trying to open up cmd on the other one.

Oh wait, I just tried opening up cmd on the other computer and it said:
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:00cf IP:0656 OP:fe B6 06 da 02 Choose 'Close' to termintate the program

There's also the option of ignoring it but when I click that a similar box pops up with near identical information. I still don't know what I'm dealing with, I've had a lot of problems on this system with ADware and the like, but never on the other one where I can't load CMD.

Ok, easy fix. On just one of the computers, go into the network connection section, right click on the your connection that you are using and select properties. Then click "Internet Protocols (TCP/IP)" and then click properties. Then under the IP address, simply change the last digit to something else.

SirKenin

banned
The CMD function has been replaced by a virus. If you look in your System32 directory you will see a CMD.COM and a CMD.EXE. Delete the CMD.COM and it should work again. The same thing will be true for REGEDIT and one other one, but it's too early in the morning for me to remember what the other one is...